• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II boot disk needed

tomparis37

Hello I'm new here. I just picked up a kaypro II (literally 20 minutes ago) I found out about this forum on another website and heard you guys could help. I turned it on and it says boot disk needed. I did some quick research and found out I need a cp/m boot disk. I was wondering if anybody would be willing to send me one and maybe a program or 2? I live in Raleigh,NC

I've got a Kaypro II as well, so I can send you disks if you can't find anyone closer (I'm in upstate New York). I've got the CP/M operating disks, as well as master/working copies for Kermit-80 and VDE (a great text editor for CP/M). Once you've got a terminal program like Kermit, you can transfer files between your Kaypro and a modern desktop (you need a serial port, or USB -> serial converter). I'd recommend getting a copy of the Walnut Creek CP/M archive if you'd like a good selection of shareware/freeware for CP/M. I recently posted a link for a torrent of the entire archive, if you look through the Vintage Computer Software section.

OK, That sounds fine. I dont really have any money would you just be willing to send it via usps for free to me?

Last edited:
OK, That sounds fine. I dont really have any money...I got the kaypro for free...would you just be willing to send it via usps for free to me?

Perhaps once I start getting paychecks...I've actually been unemployed for the last few months, so I'm broke too! But yeah, if you haven't found anyone closer in a few weeks I can mail them down. The cost of the floppies isn't an issue...I bought a box of 1000 some time ago and have been selling them off in lots of 10 (paid for themselves already!)

Ok, Thanks. Im out of work too. I do computer repair of my house to just keep up barely afloat. Id like to get this kaypro working asap. I have a working apple II in my collection also.

Same here...been repairing and selling off some project machines I'd picked up over the years while job hunting.

A real Apple ][ or one of the later versions? I just got my IIe up and running with a Microsoft CP/M card.

Same here...been repairing and selling off some project machines I'd picked up over the years while job hunting.

A real Apple ][ or one of the later versions? I just got my IIe up and running with a Microsoft CP/M card.

Its an apple IIE but it has pretty much every optional card you could get and a ton of optional stuff for it.

Last edited:
Anybody near me or even if your not willing to send me some boot disk? I'm really excited to start getting into vintage computers and I'm 22 yrs old...how many 22 yr olds do you hear say that lol.

It would really help me out if somebody would send me some boot disk. I only have one other vintage computer and its an apple. I dont have any computers that i could make the disk on as far as I know.

It would really help me out if somebody would send me some boot disk. I only have one other vintage computer and its an apple. I dont have any computers that i could make the disk on as far as I know.
If you haven't even got the $2.00 or so to reimburse someone for the postage, maybe you should consider a different hobby... ;-)

If you haven't even got the $2.00 or so to reimburse someone for the postage, maybe you should consider a different hobby... ;-)

The economy sucks in the united states right now and I have a wife and kid to take care of. How would I even reimburse someone anyway. I dont have a bank account because with all the banks failing like crazy no too long ago I dont trust them. So, yea I have money to reimburse somebody but Im not just gonna send money in the mail and hope for the best.

Last edited:
LOL! Good thing I saw that crack about it being none of my business before you edited it out; guess that means I'm off the hook. ;-)

Carry on; I'm sure someone here will be glad to make the disk for ya, buy a mailer and put postage on it, take it to the post office and hope for the best.

Where are you? It often helps if you give at least a general location in your profile. In cases like this you might have someone a short drive away who could drop some diskettes on your doorstep.

I could provide you with a couple of bootable disks with basic software on them if you're nearby.

Where are you? It often helps if you give at least a general location in your profile. In cases like this you might have someone a short drive away who could drop some diskettes on your doorstep.

I could provide you with a couple of bootable disks with basic software on them if you're nearby.
I wish you did live nearby because that would really help lol. Im on the other side of the country in Raleigh,NC

ok, so who do I need to send a mailer to? I think im just gonna get one of the flat rate envelopes from the usps> i've never done anything like this so Im not sure how this works.

Back