• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II Keyboard (Coiled Cable) Wiring information

ldkraemer

Veteran Member
I wanted to make a spare Kaypro II Keyboard cable, since my original coiled Cable was beginning to deteriorate.

The following information is located in the Kaypro II Manual.
J3 Pin 4 (Black) - Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Keyboard) TTL Levels
J3 Pin 3 (Red) - Ground
J3 Pin 2 (Yellow) - Keyboard Serial Data In (from Keyboard) TTL Levels
J3 Pin 1 (Green) - +5 VDC

I had purchased some RJ-22 Modular Plugs and a set of Crimpers from Fry's Electronics. I used my OHM
Meter to OHM out the Original Keyboard Cable as follows:

I oriented the RJ-22 Modular Plug with Brass Contacts UP, and Pin #1 is on the Left of RJ-22 Modular Plug.

J3 Pin 4 (Black) - Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Keyboard) TTL Levels...............BLACK WIRE.....
J3 Pin 3 (Red) - Ground................................................................................RED WIRE.........
J3 Pin 2 (Yellow) - Keyboard Serial Data In (from Keyboard) TTL Levels..............YELLOW WIRE..
J3 Pin 1 (Green) - +5 VDC..............................................................................GREEN WIRE....

...........................................................................................Keyboard Serial Data in (from Motherboard) TTL Levels - KB Pin 1 (Black)
...........................................................................................Ground...................................................................... - KB Pin 2 (Red)
...........................................................................................Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Motherboard) TTL Levels - KB Pin 3 (Yellow)
...........................................................................................+5 VDC..................................................................... - KB Pin 4 (Green)

Case Plug Pin 1 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 4
Case Plug Pin 2 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 3
Case Plug Pin 3 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 2
Case Plug Pin 4 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 1

Larry

I had several Kaypros (back in the day).

A telephone handset extension cable (the one between the phone and the handset) can be used for the Kaypro keyboard.
If you can still fine one.
I had a couple that were twelve feet long. Worked fine.

I had several Kaypros (back in the day).

A telephone handset extension cable (the one between the phone and the handset) can be used for the Kaypro keyboard.
If you can still fine one.
I had a couple that were twelve feet long. Worked fine.

I just tried a telephone handset cord with my Kaypro 2 and none of the keyboard keys worked. :-(

I wanted to make a spare Kaypro II Keyboard cable, since my original coiled Cable was beginning to deteriorate.

Larry

Larry what CABLE did you use? I understand that "regular" coiled phone cable won't work - something about the resistance being wrong. Or maybe the light weight of modern phone cable is not enough to carry the 5 volts? Or both?

I'll have to go to the basement and do a bit of digging. I'm still using my original cable, but it
needs replaced. I made some spares and have them on the table with the Kaypro. I won't
know until I find them. I'll look tonight as I'm headed that way trying to finish another project.

Larry

I understand that "regular" coiled phone cable won't work - something about the resistance being wrong. Or maybe the light weight of modern phone cable is not enough to carry the 5 volts? Or both?

Yes thats basically it. If you can find a coiled cable from the 70's or early 80s that actually uses copper braid wire.. you will be fine.. If you use a modern phone line which uses... garbage.. forget it.. the resistance is way too high.

Well, I've moved and around my Kaypro II, I don't see any extra keyboard cables that
were made from flat or round gray cable. I don't remember what I did with the cables
I crimped ends on or where I got the cable. I know we had some flat cable at work,
but I don't find any of it around my Kaypro. So, I'm still digging through a few boxes.

Larry

I did look in my All Electronics Book and found this information.

https://www.allelectronics.com/

CAT # CB-47F
https://www.allelectronics.com/item/cb-47f/7-4-conductor-silver-satin-phone-wire/1.html
7' 4-CONDUCTOR SILVER SATIN PHONE WIRE - AWG28 Stranded 2 for $1.00

Cat # 4CF
https://www.allelectronics.com/item/4cf/4-cond-flat-tele-wire/1.html
4 COND FLAT TELE WIRE - AWG28 Stranded 50' for $5.00

Cat # CMP-4
https://www.allelectronics.com/item/cmp-4/4-pin-crimp-on-modular-plug-rj-11/1.html
4 PIN CRIMP-ON MODULAR PLUG RJ-11 10 for $2.50

I may have built mine with something like this. I'm still looking.

Larry

I found a guy on ebay that builds Kaypro keyboard cables to order. I may have gotten lucky with an old phone cord somewhere, but there's none around here, so I ordered one from the ebay seller. Not the cheapest option but at least I will have it, and presumably it's guaranteed to work. Anyway, the Kaypro keyboard cables on ebay are at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202593787794

I found a guy on ebay that builds Kaypro keyboard cables to order. I may have gotten lucky with an old phone cord somewhere, but there's none around here, so I ordered one from the ebay seller. Not the cheapest option but at least I will have it, and presumably it's guaranteed to work. Anyway, the Kaypro keyboard cables on ebay are at
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202593787794

And I appreciate you making the purchase of course.....

As I recall, the MAC used a different cable wiring and so will not work on the Kaypro.

It does, and if you use the wrong cable on the Mac, it will fry the chip on the keyboard which is irreplaceable. I'm not sure if such damage can happen on the Kaypro but likely not a good idea.

It is a modular style connector, 4 conductors. Sometimes telephone cables are 2 conductor and sometimes they are 4 conductor. I wouldn't expect the 2 conductor to work. What I don't know is if the connector is rotated 180 degrees on the wire or not.

It does, and if you use the wrong cable on the Mac, it will fry the chip on the keyboard which is irreplaceable. I'm not sure if such damage can happen on the Kaypro but likely not a good idea.

Im not sure either, as I told the OP. There is a chance using the wrong cable could have caused some damage.

Oh for goodness sake - it truly IS "a small world after all". Verault, I will watch my mailbox for your package, and will cross my fingers that I didn't blow something up with that Mac keyboard cable.

You will probably be fine... there is always a chance the 5 volts went somewhere that really doesn't like 5 volts... lets hope not.

The following information is located in the Kaypro II Manual.
J3 Pin 4 (Black) - Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Keyboard) TTL Levels
J3 Pin 3 (Red) - Ground
J3 Pin 2 (Yellow) - Keyboard Serial Data In (from Keyboard) TTL Levels
J3 Pin 1 (Green) - +5 VDC

I had purchased some RJ-22 Modular Plugs and a set of Crimpers from Fry's Electronics. I used my OHM
Meter to OHM out the Original Keyboard Cable as follows:

I oriented the RJ-22 Modular Plug with Brass Contacts UP, and Pin #1 is on the Left of RJ-22 Modular Plug.

J3 Pin 4 (Black) - Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Keyboard) TTL Levels...............BLACK WIRE.....
J3 Pin 3 (Red) - Ground................................................................................RED WIRE.........
J3 Pin 2 (Yellow) - Keyboard Serial Data In (from Keyboard) TTL Levels..............YELLOW WIRE..
J3 Pin 1 (Green) - +5 VDC..............................................................................GREEN WIRE....

...........................................................................................Keyboard Serial Data in (from Motherboard) TTL Levels - KB Pin 1 (Black)
...........................................................................................Ground...................................................................... - KB Pin 2 (Red)
...........................................................................................Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Motherboard) TTL Levels - KB Pin 3 (Yellow)
...........................................................................................+5 VDC..................................................................... - KB Pin 4 (Green)

Case Plug Pin 1 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 4
Case Plug Pin 2 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 3
Case Plug Pin 3 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 2
Case Plug Pin 4 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 1

Larry
i'm a new member and that was my first post. the photos are ok i guess. the terminology wasn't. on my coiled (rj-22?)wire from left side 1=yellow, 2=green, 3=red, 4=black. on the new part i bought (616p44 from mouser) which is supposed to tie into the pcb board the colors are the same as on the coiled wire. the wires from the pcb board are as follows: 1=black,2=green, 3&4 are tied together, 4 also has white wire, 5 is blank, 6=red. i've tried different combinations, nothing worked and i hope i didn't fry anything. machine boots fine.

any ideas?
bob

i'm a new member and that was my first post. the photos are ok i guess. the terminology wasn't. on my coiled (rj-22?)wire from left side 1=yellow, 2=green, 3=red, 4=black. on the new part i bought (616p44 from mouser) which is supposed to tie into the pcb board the colors are the same as on the coiled wire. the wires from the pcb board are as follows: 1=black,2=green, 3&4 are tied together, 4 also has white wire, 5 is blank, 6=red. i've tried different combinations, nothing worked and i hope i didn't fry anything. machine boots fine.

any ideas?
bob
Hi Bob., I see you found the way to our Forum.

Back