• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro IV/83

Formulator

Experienced Member
Recently acquired one of these locally. Cosmetically in very good shape, and came with travel pouch. Sadly, no disks or manuals.

Neither of the TM-100 drives work well; the A: will not boot and the B: boots, but has a broken latch. I just want to make sure the Shunt 1E jumpering is correct, as what the technical manual (1484-C) states seems unclear:

It states that A: should be jumpered 1/14, 2/13 and B: 1/14, 3/12. Since there are 16 pins in the shunt, you could understand my confusion. Anyway, I can probably fix the drives eventually, but just want to confirm the correct jumpering. Thanks.

IMG_1254.jpgIMG_1247.jpg

A: is on the left.

The TM-100 Manual has a picture of Shunt 1E. I've attached it.

If you use a cotton swab dipped in Alcohol to gently clean the Read heads, and the guide rails the head carriage glides on,
it will help a lot. I also use A Motorcycle Cable Lubricant, that doesn't attract dirt, to lube the guide rails. It's name is
Dri-Slide. A small bottle will be a lifetime supply. It also works good on scanner rails.

The biggest problem I've had is the RPM being off speed, and the Read Heads being coated with the old oxide from OLD
floppy's. The cotton swab will clean the read heads, just be gentle.

And of course if the head carriage assembly doesn't step easily,or at all, that can be a problem.

Larry

TM-100_Shunt-1E.jpg

Back