• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro Personal Computer

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
I recently was lucky to buy a Kaypro Personal Computer off of a fellow member here, @Benson86.

He had good communication, fair price, and seems like a good guy, it was described accurately and packed very well. It came with some extras that we agreed upon like homebrew DOS disks, official IBM DOS, ms.pac-man game, a couple non-working hard drives, keyboard, keyboard adapter, etc.

As for the computer itself, it is badged "Kaypro Personal Computer", instead of an 8088 though, it uses a v20 and it can be easily toggled between 4.77 and 8mhz via a toggle switch on the back. It has an early cirrus logic VGA compatible card in it, that is also compatible with all older/less advanced video standards as well, cga, ega, hercules, etc. Of course it did not come with a hard drive in the machine, just two 5 1/2 floppy drives, seems like they may actually be 1.2mb drives interestingly enough but I am not at all sure about that.

I'm pretty happy with it though, and I do have an older more appropriate looking philips keyboard that looks similar to a model M and uses a 5-pin din plug, but it's an AT keyboard and the adapter I got goes from PS/2 to XT not AT DIN to XT DIN, so to use the "better" keyboard I will need to get a different adapter.

7ebuBjh.jpg

That 8088 system used an XT Scancode 1 keyboard so I'm guessing that pictured Packard Bell is switch selectable between XT and AT mode. If you're looking to attach a later model AT keyboard, tinkerBOY sells a good convertor.

Awesome love the setup! That monitor looks great with it. And they are to my knowledge 360k drives and can make working backups of real 360k floppies, I think they 286i version came with the 1.2mb drives but those are even more rare than the Personal Computer lol.

Back