• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KDJ11-A in 16-bit LSI-11 backplane?

saipan59

Experienced Member
I'm trying to test a KDJ11-A (M8192) in my little LSI-11 setup, which is a 4-slot dual-height BP.
The J11 responds to ODT, and I can poke a simple routine into it, but when I try to run it, it goes off in the weeds.
The SRUN signal goes false, and it does NOT return to ODT unless I do a Halt. When I Halt it, it gives an address that's not even close.
I tried swapping the J11 chip with another (used, unknown condition), but the results are the same.

It's possible that something on the board is bad of course, but I'm wondering if it's not *supposed* to work in a backplane with only 16-bit addressing and no parity on the memory, etc.

Thanks for any comments!
Pete

Update: I found that if I single-step the program in ODT, it works (it's a simple memory test routine).
That seems like a big hint (and a good sign?).

Pete

The KDJ11-A manual (EK-KDJ1A-UG-001) states in section 2.9.1 that the backplanes, memory and I/O devices must support 22-bit addressing. Section 2.9.2 states that if memory or memory addressed devices only support 16 or 18 bit addressing, you must limit the memory size appropriately. Table 2.9 shows the restricted or non-compatible boards.

The KDJ11-A manual (EK-KDJ1A-UG-001) states in section 2.9.1 that the backplanes, memory and I/O devices must support 22-bit addressing. Section 2.9.2 states that if memory or memory addressed devices only support 16 or 18 bit addressing, you must limit the memory size appropriately. Table 2.9 shows the restricted or non-compatible boards.

Awesome, thanks! I had been looking at that manual for jumper configs and such, but overlooked section 2.9.
I'm calling my J11 board "good"...

Pete

Just curious if upgrading a 16-bit QBUS backplane to 22-bits involves simply wiring up the DAL16-DAL21 lines, or is there a catch?

Just curious if upgrading a 16-bit QBUS backplane to 22-bits involves simply wiring up the DAL16-DAL21 lines, or is there a catch?

Considering dual-height only, what I see is:
BC1, BD1, BE1, and BF1 are "SSPARE" 4 thru 7 in LSI-11. So that aspect should be OK if no LSI cards are using them (if you bus those pins together).
In the KDJ11 UG, there is a list of non-compatible options, and in a couple of them, the explanation is "(Termination for 18 bits only)" (see KPV11 and TEV11 and REV11; and BDV11 which needs an ECO). SO, this makes me think that termination is the main issue (assuming that the SSPARE wires are bussed and not used for other purposes).
This is confirmed by an ECO on BDV11 (M8012-ML005), which adds terms to the upper 4 bits.

Pete

Back