• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

keybgr versus keyb gr - hang up?

1ST1

Veteran Member
Hello, I just transfered one of my Olivetti M24 from DOS 3.20 to DOS 5.0. I made a boot disk on another M24 which already runs DOS 5. So I booted the 1st M24 from floppy, made a SYS C: and started Guest.exe for the ZIP drive to copy the dos folder from ZIP disk to harddisk to get the updated commands for DOS 5. But I forgot to change some commands in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

So I booted that M24 and it was just fine, running DOS 5 now, with german keyboard layout. Then I thought, oh, you can add doskey and some more luxury things into config.sys and autoexec, and I did that. While that, I saw that in the autoexec there is the command

keybgr

for german keyboard, this was still the DOS 3.20 command. So I changed it into

keyb gr,,c:\dos\keyboard.sys

and rebooted. But surprisingly when executing this command, the M24 hangs totally up, no CTRL+ALT+DEL anymore, nothing.

After resetting and booting from Floppy, I changed back to

keybgr

and everything was fine. Why?

Both, 3.20 and 5.0 are Olivetti branded. But "keyb gr" works fine on my other PCs (not M21/M24/M24SP), like my Olivetti D33 laptop (386DX).

The interesting thing is, after loading "keybgr" on the M21/M24, then also "keyb gr" does not hang up.

Last edited:
Both, 3.20 and 5.0 are Olivetti branded. But "keyb gr" works fine on my other PCs (not M21/M24/M24SP), like my Olivetti D33 laptop (386DX).

The interesting thing is, after loading "keybgr" on the M21/M24, then also "keyb gr" does not hang up.

It may be that MS-DOS 3.2 was a "bespoke" variant for all sorts of OEMs, Olivetti and Amstrad to note just a couple. Not very friendly, to be honest, when they're mucking about with the "standards".

Back