• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kickstarter for Amiga/Atari Game Player

I cringed watching the video... then cringed again when I realized they were just reading the copy that made up the campaign text.

I can't count enough fails for this. Who did they intend their target audience to be? What does Nascar have to do with this project? Have they never heard of already-free emulators? Why did they feel they needed 250K to make this happen (and then only ask for 100K in the kickstarter)?

A quick look through the games catalog shows that it is essentially the Gremlin catalog. So someone paid $25k (or something) for Gremlin's mobile rights or something, and now have no idea how to make money with it.

Well, a 386SX is a bit of a difficult case :)
It has a 16-bit bus, so the chipset will be 16-bit as well (similar to the early Amigas). CD32 is a full 32-bit machine, both CPU and chipset.

True, however, the SNES is universally considered to be a 16-bit console even though its 65C816-based CPU only has an 8-bit bus. :) Classic gaming enthusiasts have attempted to settle the issue by referring to consoles as belonging to the "16-bit era" or "32-bit era", etc. For example, the Intellivision belongs to the "8-bit era" even though it has a 16-bit CPU, and the NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 belongs to the "16-bit era" even though it has an 8-bit CPU.

All Motorola 68000 based homecomputers and consoles are 32 Bit machines. Yes, the bus is 16 bit only, but they already use the same commands as the 32 bit bus machine 68020 and later to operate with 32 bit datas on real 32 bit registers. It's the same as the 8088 is also a 16 bit machine with 8 bit bus. Or think on 386SX versus 386. Both are running 32 bit code. Half the bus only for cheaper external design (and results in less speed).

Anyhow, this topic has been opened on the Atari subforum. But all the offers on that website only include Amiga games, no ST games, no PC games, no ... Funny is also, when I looked first this morning, only 146 USD have been reached, out of 100.000, and the target should be reached just in 13 days. Aditionally, emulators on Apple iOS devices are impossible, they (Apple) will not allow to offer this in Appstore as it can run uncontrolled code and offers probably in.app buys beyond Apple's control financial share, so no iPad, iPhone, Apple-TV support, and how to get the app on these smart TVs? The only way to do it would be streamed emulator to the target devices to bypass Apple's policy. Would streaming of the emulatet machines work? I have big doubts if this project will happen. Amiga, ST and C-64 emus for Android are for free, so what would make the difference here?

I think iOS permits emulators but the emulator has to be bundled with the specific program being loaded. Rather wasteful of storage having all those extra copies of an emulator but fortunately Amiga emulators are tiny.

The people running this Kickstarter should have brought it to a local startup evaluation meeting and gotten advice on how to fix it to be worthy of VC money.

I said *machine*, not *microprocessor*.

PC Magazine, Feb-Mar 1982
Interview with Gary Kildall
https://books.google.com/books?id=w_OhaFDePS4C&pg=RA2-PA35&lpg=RA2-PA35#v=onepage&q&f=false

20kr7es.png

Bringing this thread back on-topic for a moment....

These guys are dreaming. Their images are poorly-photoshopped images. That's not the way to get me to shell out my cash on a dream. Their association with NASCAR... uh.... weird. I mean, I get that they're trying to offer some unique tiers, but uh.... weird. They'd have done better offering a few NOS pieces of the games that they plan to emulate, IMO. Their explanation that their game is an app which will bring up the virtual keyboard when it's needed. OK. Gotcha. But if an emulator does that with a button press, why would I pay you to do this for me? I'm not advocating piracy here, but chances are if I'm purchasing a digital copy of a game, it's because I already own that game and wish to enjoy it in another manner. Give me a good emulator, and I'll create a disk image and transport the game I want to play myself, violating no copyrights, with no need to repurchase.

A nice idea... but this one's gonna fall flat on it's face. They'd have been better off to have gone for a "best of amiga" collection that's available world-wide via PSN or X-Box Live with stretch goals to include mobile support.

Fine, Apple actually DID market them as 32-bit then (should have known, Steve Jobs and all. You never saw any Apples in this part of the world anyway, so I'm not familiar with their marketing). Or did they? I see they use the term '32 SuperMicro', but I can't actually read the text, so not sure if they ever say '32-bit' or merely imply it with the use of '32'.
Edit: http://www.248am.com/images/apple_32_supermicro.jpg
I only see '32-bit microprocessor' there, which is stretching things somewhat, but not entirely wrong. I don't see them claiming that the *system* is 32-bit.

The others weren't. And Apples weren't seen as any more 32-bit than the others at least.

Istr that my Amiga box literature referred to the 68000 as a 16/32-bit system, and I'm Real certain Atari saw it that way as well (since ST is short for sixteen thirty-two).

Regardless I've always thought of a machines bitness as the word size the processor could support, rather than the data bus width.

Back