• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

King's Quest V

facattack

Veteran Member
I have the King's Quest Collection on CD-ROM. It has 3 discs. I was wondering if the "Small" installation was the same as the old floppy version which lacked the voice acting and had windows pop up showing what the characters are saying? I was having trouble installing on my Windows 10 desktop. I tried both SCUMMVM and DOS BOX. Can someone give me insight in what I'm doing wrong?

I also have a laptop that was wiped by ransomware so I was debating on putting an old OS on it. It is an HP 15 laptop and came with win8.1 but I put win10 on it before it was wiped. Thankfully I still have the old files archived on an external HDD which totals at 4TB while the HDD for the HP takes up 500GB. The HP is my only other PC with a DVD-RW drive.

Thanks in advance.

Can someone give insight, please? I have the discs to both CD-ROM collections. Can someone tutor me on DosBox? Should I try putting FreeDos on the old HP for an OS? Nothing else is on it it now....

Doh misunderstood the question, so dosbox should have sound blaster emulation by default.

As for the version, I have 3 different copies of KQ5 and all them have voice. Can't remember if it used CD audio or not.

There wasn't a DOS version on floppy disk?
FWrJZl0.jpeg
My collection was boxed this way.. I think the "small" installation on the CD-ROMs I have is a port of the floppy version. I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong with mounting the stuff.

Last edited:
Have you tried copying the KQ5 directory from the CD yourself and putting it on your hard drive with the file explorer, and pointing SCUMMVM to that? It worked with my 1994 version of the King's quest collection, not sure about your 1997 version.

You could try the newer mass add feature in SCUMMVM by clicking the arrow on the add game button.

The CD version only has voice, and no option for text. Sierra figured that the deaf and hard of hearing weren't going to buy the cd versions of their games, Space Quest IV was slightly better by letting you have either voice or text, but never both (unless you got the New Rising Sun patch or are playing on scummvm), but then games like King's Quest VII and Phantasmagoria didn't bother having dialogue in text what so ever. The only games that I can think of that out the box let you have text and voice at the same time right out the box without patches or scummvm are Space Quest 6 and maybe Leisure Suit Larry 6

Back