• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KyroFlux and the SPS

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Hi,

I was just wondering, can anyone please explain to me/correct my assumptions what is KyroFlux and what the SPS does?

From reading the sites, FAQs, and KBes I've gathered the following:

1. The SPS tries to preserve ALL games
2. They used to have a custom made system to copy disks based on an Amiga
3. They use a program called the Analyzer to create master images
4. They do not distribute these master images (but maybe they do?)
5. They have created the KyroFlux which is a USB interfaced floppy disk controller
6. The KyroFlux does not care about logical format (sectors, clusters, etc) so it can copy almost anything in any drive as long as the disk fits in the drive (i.e. 5 1/4" Apple, IBM, commodore disks are all the same to it).
7. The KyroFlux is replacing the old Amiga system
8. If you buy Analyzer and know what you are doing you too can make master images for the rest of us mortals you can use their DTC program to make sector based images.
9. The KyroFlux will write disks based on the master images now but still will not write other formats it reads to (you have to use a third party write utility like winimage)
10. KyroFlux should act like a CopyIIPC board on steroids

So questions:

So how accurate am I on the above? Do I have the gist of it or am I totally off base?

Also as to #4: On their site the SPS states they will not distribute master images (fair enough I get that) but they also say if you send them an image file you made off of an original diskette they WILL send you a master image. Anyone try this yet? If they do actually send it, how does the process work and how long is the turn around?

On their trailer they show a commodore disk being put into an Amiga and running. Now I have no familiarity with either system so I don't know if they were code/disk compatible (I would think not) or are the KF people simply saying that from a master image you can write a disk to any logical format you want (but even if this is true how can the code run on the Amiga from a commodore?)

Any other info or insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Correction: It was an Amiga/AtariST disk and apparently there was such a beast as a dual format Amiga/AtariST disk.

Hi,

I was just wondering, can anyone please explain to me/correct my assumptions what is KyroFlux and what the SPS does?

The short answer seems to be that they are a group of people collecting copy-protected games using hardware and software that
is intentionally obfuscated. I prefer Philip's work on the Diskferret, which is not as well developed, but has the code available.
http://www.discferret.com/wiki/DiscFerret

Last edited:
The short answer seems to be that they are a group of people collecting copy-protected games using hardware and software that
is intentionally obfuscated. I prefer Philip's work on the Diskferret, which is not as well developed, but has the code available.
http://www.discferret.com/wiki/DiscFerret

How are they hiding the HW and SW? The HW schematics is freely available so are they not providing FW code?

Back