• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Laptop w/ Floppy Drive (Side Loading)

Clueless in Seattle

Hi! I'm an old guy on Social Security and disabled by poorly understood chronic health issues that require me to spend the better part of each day resting in bed.

One of the ways I pass the time is to play around with my old MS-DOS software on a hand-me-down Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT laptop.

revision-del-toshiba-satellite-2545xcdt-ordenador-portatil-grande.jpg

I get a great deal of satisfaction from this hobby, but one drawback of this laptop is that the floppy drive loads from the front of that long "shelf" with the touch-pad that extends from the front edge of the keyboard. This makes it difficult for me to swap floppies, because, when I'm propped up in bed on pillows, that floppy slot is pressed right up against my belly.

Years ago I used a Toshiba 1910 CS

http://www.retro-pc.net/musei/notebook/toshiba_satelitte/p6.jpgp6.jpg

In fact, I went through three of them, because they had no cooling fan, and in those days I didn't realize that sitting them on top of the blankets over my legs in bed caused them to overheat and so I burned them all up, one after the other. :(

So, I'm looking for a small laptop with a side-loading floppy drive on which I can run MS-DOS 6.21. Even better would be one without that annoying "shelf" with the touch-pad.

Any ideas on where I could start looking for such an extinct animal?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Back