• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Large Tandy stash picked up at a garage sale today.

Ok, so an update total of what is spoken for:

1.) Blue Streak Ultima Serial To Parallel Interface
2.) Color Profile Hard Cover Manual
3.) Cash Budget Management Hard Cover Manual
4.) Beyond Turtle Graphics Paperback Book
5.) Coco 3 Computer
6.) Tandy Mouse
7.) Tandy adapter/splitter

Updated taken list:

1.) Blue Streak Ultima Serial To Parallel Interface
2.) Color Profile Hard Cover Manual
3.) Cash Budget Management Hard Cover Manual
4.) Beyond Turtle Graphics Paperback Book
5.) Coco 3 Computer
6.) Tandy Mouse
7.) Tandy adapter/splitter
8.) Coco 1 Computer

Updated taken list:

1.) Blue Streak Ultima Serial To Parallel Interface - Shipped
2.) Color Profile Hard Cover Manual - Shipped
3.) Cash Budget Management Hard Cover Manual - Shipped
4.) Beyond Turtle Graphics Paperback Book -Shipped
5.) Coco 3 Computer - In Queue
6.) Tandy Mouse - In Queue
7.) Tandy adapter/splitter - In Queue
8.) Coco 1 Computer - Deep clean in process

So starting to reassemble the Coco 1 and the decades of humidity did take their toll, but we'll see what happens when it is turned on after the deep clean. Here is the keyboard slowly being reassembled. Three days into the cleaning and most of the time is dry time. The keyboard was completely disassembled and fully cleaned out. Not going to retrobright the keys, but they are in good shape otherwise. The key caps and domes were soaked in a Dawn soap mix overnight and all the dirt is off. Motherboard got a full rinse and all ICs were pulled and cleaned. I have a very minor solder job of one wire that came loose and will probably get to that today. All the shielding inside the case had extensive rust on it so all of it got an overnight vinegar bath and all the rust stripped right off the next day. You can see all the white marks on the video box shielding from where the rust was dissolved. Nice and smooth metal surface now. One thing I am hoping for is that the transformer holds up when turned on for the first time after decades of being idle. The case has major permanent staining, but that's ok. It is in good condition other than the staining and I have no plans to paint it since I personally like to keep everything original without interference. Let time tell the tale as I say.

mobo.jpg
keys.jpg
case.jpg

Well, I got a video signal, but a very dirty signal. Going to adjust the pots tomorrow. I wasn't aware this model had that video out. Is this a modified system? I thought I would ask the experts here. Also, I had to solder that yellow wire that I have circled. The way it goes straight over one of the mobo mounting screws makes me think this was mod. Anyway the solder job is shaky at best because the pin on the IC snapped from being brittle when I tried to get to that screw. I really need to bridge the wire to the IC or just replace the wire, but where it is soldered next to the shielding wall I am not sure what it is actually soldered to. Also, I think the system has some cap issues because not all the keys register all the time and it's different each time I turn it on. Overall, I am happy with ti so far considering I did not think I would even get a screen after what conditions this sytem sat in for decades. I actually managed to play some chess, but even that wasn't perfectly smooth sailing. The contacts on the Chess cart were heavily oxidized, but after some toothbrush work and alcohol I managed to get it running. Any advice would be great and I plan on giving it a go some more tomorrow before I start on the Coco 3.

mobo.jpgcocomaybe.jpg

Coco 1 decided to start sending a clear video signal when I threatened the recycle center. Weird. Time to hit the electronics shop. Maybe it can be saved after all. We shall see.

Last edited:
I see the problem now. The video out box is toast and one of the pots has completely decayed. If anyone wants the ICs or parts off this system before I recycle it please PM me and I'll send them your way. Should be very cheap shipping. Let me know soon. Thanks.

Can someone take a stab at why this Coco 3 composite out has lines through the image and the text clarity is very poor? Cap issues? Thanks for any advice on this.

IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg

Try it with a CRT TV or monitor. Vintage computers and video games often don't work too well with modern flatscreen televisions.

Try it with a CRT TV or monitor. Vintage computers and video games often don't work too well with modern flatscreen televisions.

Thanks. Luckily I still have one CRT left. I'll give it a go. When I restored a C64 and VIC-20 they both had clean composite signals on the same LCD screen. See what happens.

Yep. That did the trick. Weird the Commodore machines were super clear on my LCD TV and the Coco 3 was not. Anyway, looks great on the CRT. Sometimes the obvious escapes me.

Coco 3 deep clean is basically done. No retrobright, but this looks ready for action. Another stray saved and it found a forever home. ;)

compare.jpg
inside.jpg
chessside.jpg

Had to Dremel the case off the external floppy unit. All the screw heads had rusted and disinegrated on contact. The power supply/transformer look to be in terrible shape. Suprisingly the drives look good and will probably use those in other retro machines I have. The crusty spider was in the worst shape by far.

IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1126.jpg
IMG_1127.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg

So this is what's left. Once again, if anyone wants any of this please PM me and just cover shipping. I also cleaned up the floppy controller and it's available if someone wants. Shipping on that would be cheap since it is small and light. I also have the floppy ribbon cable if you want it.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Updated availability list: (glad all of this is finding homes)

Note: Shipping is very cheap for the manuals and books since it is considered media mail by USPS. Shipping has not been over $6.75 so far for multiple books. Just a FYI.

1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Last edited:
The "Color Computer 3" hard cover binder is now taken. That ended up being an OS-9 Level II manual. No disks, but all pages were there.

So one last check on this guys. I am doing some spring cleaning and before I recycle the rest of these manuals is there anyone who wants these? Since media mail shipping is super cheap I will give them and ship them for free to whoever wants the rest. It's all or nothing. I already boxed it so let me know. Otherwise I am going to recycle what's left next week.

1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Back