• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Least-used M4 Keys?

cajunc2

Hey all, I’m in the process of restoring a non-GA Model 4 and I’ve got a bit of an unusual keyboard question.

I have three broken key switches and one missing keycap (right shift). I currently have the whole board disassembled for cleaning all the switches and when I reassemble, I’d prefer to move the broken switches to some less-used locations. Obviously the right shift key will still be out of commission, but I’m trying to figure out which other two to leave broken until I can find replacement switches.

My instinct is maybe the F2 and F3 keys or perhaps caps lock or keypad-enter? I’m unfamiliar with TRS-80 software in general, so I don’t really know if these keys are often-used. If you had to go without two keys but still have most functionality, which two would you give up?

And for reference, in case it makes any difference, these are the switches this keyboard has. It’s the layout with the arrow keys split on either side of the board.

IMG_9654.jpeg

Why not just replace the three bad ALPS key switches? I don't have a White key cap with me, but I have two
black ones that are pulls from a model 3 Keyboard.

I might have a White Key Cap back in Missouri, but I won't have access to it until Early April.

Larry

I do plan to replace the broken switches, but haven’t been able to find replacements yet. I’m just trying to plan for reassembling the machine without those switches in the case that I can’t find them before I finish refurbishing the rest of the machine. I’ll leave the broken switches in locations that are less important until I have a full set.

Back