• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

life simulation project

jjzcp

Experienced Member
Hello,

I've recently been working on my life simulation project, and i am curently just before the AI. I was wondering if any of you know of any good articles, documents, or books on artificial intelagence, preferably based in C.

I was also wondering if you guys (and gals) think i should just make my own artificial intellegence. I have plenty of time to do it, because i am going to saskatchwan for a while although, i have very little experience with it.

This is one of my favourite pages, although I haven't taken advantage of its contents:

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

Oh to be young again! I used to mess around with game programming, mostly on MS-DOS and Windows systems, but I did play around (mostly in BASIC) on my C-64 and TRS-80 machines as well.

As I get older, I find my interest in games (both developing and playing) dims more and more each day. My "creative spark" seems to be drawn to more practical projects on the computer (I'm currently working on a ham logging program for Linux, written in Python).

I still wax nostalgiac from time to time, and I will fire-up my TRS-80 emulator and play some game I got from Ira's site, or perhaps I'll turn on the Packard Bell 316 and play some old DOS game for a couple of hours. That seems to satisfy my inner "child" so to speak, and then I'm good for another month or two.

It really sucks getting older, enjoy your youth while you can. Only three more years to go before I hit the big five-oh. :-(

Ham as in the delicious back part of a pig, or as in ham radio or something else?

But yes, I also play much less games now than before, and I'm just past 30. Strictly speaking, a game of life simulation typically is not much of a game either, unless modified with some goals and user interaction. I remember Frog Master on the C64 as some evolutionary football (!) game, where frogs would grow from embryo to big frogs while playing football, and the key was to keep as many as adults as possible, and score goals if I remember correctly. I have that one on cartridge.

I did my own AI thing in 1970 in FORTRAN. I programmed the computer to learn from it's mistakes. It would make random game moves and save the result of making that move. It basically would remember all the "losing moves" and not make that move again later. It had NO logic in it as to how to win. The game was normal 3 x 3 tic-tac-toe. I never got so bored with playing tic-tac-toe in my whole life. Even this relatively simple game took hundreds of games to develop a reasonable result. Eventually, I put "game symmetry" logic into it because I couldn't stand the thought of 1200 more games before the program became "good". The project was fun until we got to the teaching part. I should have done the "war games" thing where the computer would play against another copy of the same program. I didn't think of that until I was totally burned out by the whole thing.

Ham as in the delicious back part of a pig, or as in ham radio or something else?

Ham, as in "Amateur Radio". Got my Novice license back in August of 1990, so this is my 16th year as a ham. I'm also a 20 wpm Extra class (and I can still send and copy at ~20 - 25 wpm). I passed the Extra code test and written exam in April of 1991.

Then I took and passed my FCC General RadioTelephone Operator's license test. That was a stupendous waste! For that, and the Ship's Radar Endorsement, it cost me $100 total, and about nine months of intensive study. Have I ever used any of it? No. ;-)

Back