• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Limiting the speed of a CRDOM drive. Possible?

kc8eyt

Experienced Member
Hello. Over the years I've accumulated quite a few (20+) dead/defective CDROM drives. A few days ago I decided to see if I could fix any of them and to my surprise I have over half of them working again, through removing old grease and applying new white grease, pulling ribbon cables, cleaning, and reseating, and mending/re-fabricating broken plastic parts.

The problem is the 40X and above drives (especially 50X and above) are just too stupid fast and loud. While they work they sound like they are going to explode into a mangled mess worthy of a Boeing press conference.

Does anyone know if there was ever an IDE/ATAPI CD driver or software capable of limiting the speed of a CDROM drive?

EDIT: I noticed I spelled CDROM in the title as CRDOM. Why can't I fix this with an edit within a few minutes of posting??

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there was ever an IDE/ATAPI CD driver or software capable of limiting the speed of a CDROM drive?
Maybe post #11 of the thread at [here] can assist you.

EDIT: I noticed I spelled CDROM in the title as CRDOM. Why can't I fix this with an edit within a few minutes of posting??
To edit the title, I think you have to switch into 'Advanced' edit mode.

Thanks for the links modem7. I will check those out .. look promising.

Thanks also for the tip on editing the title.

There used to also be TRSs that could slow down any drive or limit the speed to xxxKB/sec. I can't recall now where I'd even begin to look for something like this as they were usually some small program as part of an installation program for some sort of software (various publishers).

Plextor released a utility that could limit the speed of their SCSI drives, don't know if it worked with their IDE drives.

Back