• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Look for Docs - Classic Technology Speed 286 Accelerator Board.

dabone

Veteran Member
I've got a Classic Technology Speed 286 , it's an 8 bit ISA card with a 8 mhz 80286 and 1MB Ram, with a cable to plug into the 8088 slot.
It also has a dongle to plug into the 8087 slot, and a similar dongle on a empty socket on the card.

I'm seeking a manual / software.
Here's the card, (Ram was removed at the time of the photo, but it's reinstalled now)

IMG_20230324_180140593.jpg

I'm running it in a Compaq Portable with 512k of ram, and it's filling ram to 640k in either 8088 mode or 80286 mode. But in 286 mode, I'm not able to get himem.sys running.

Here's a link to the bios files.

Classic 286 Bios Bins.

I can use this as is, or try to get access to some upper memory. And since I socketed the ram, I wonder if it could hold more.

I know the ram isn't that useful in a 286, but I'm just playing.

Speaking of the devil..... I just ran into it yesterday evening and a quick search. "speed 286+" didn't get any hit at all so I was thinking about asking around here but only after some more research. So I hope you will understand that I'm a bit flabbergasted seeing your request here.

Notice that I used "286+". I'm quite sure mine says SPEED 286+ and I will check this evening. I'm also sure that I don't have that socket with resistor. And the layout looks different but that can be me getting old. We'll see this evening.

Question: how much RAM do you have?

1 Meg, 4 256k sipps with parity.

Mine was very flaky, and when I tried reseating the 8088, the socket wouldn't let go of the chip, and had to replace it, after that it's seems to be nice and stable.

The ram error I was having was with the 8088 motherboard I was using, so I removed the ram on the card for nothing.

I need new glasses. The "+" I saw was the via I saw just right of "286" and clearly visible on you photo.

But there is indeed one big difference: where you have those four SIMM sockets, I have 18 41256 DRAMs. But I also have a little board with another 18 DRAMs on top of them, so 1 MB in total.

Now we can only hope that someone has the manual.....

Back