• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for a basic BIOS source code for a 80188

Ruud

Veteran Member
In the old days you had the CP/M cartridges for the Commodore 64. Too make a long story short, this inspired to create a 80188 cartridge that you stick in the expansion port of the C64. And I need a BIOS for it. I'm very familiar with the 8088, including programming it, But I am completely unfamiliar with the 80188, or better, its differences with the 8088. For example, it has those programmable pins at pin 25..32 and I would like to know how to program them.
I have the Intel datasheet, found good info on RetroBrew and I found the Intel's Programmers Reference Manual.

But any good info, pointers and source code is welcome!

The manual is pretty complete, in my experience. See Intel Application note AP-186 here , chapter 8, for a concise description for setting up the chip and peripheral selects as well as the internal gizmos in the Peripheral Control Block(Appendices). Nothing useful will happen until you get those chip selects programmed!

The manual is pretty complete, in my experience. See Intel Application note AP-186 here , chapter 8, for a concise description for setting up the chip and peripheral selects as well as the internal gizmos in the Peripheral Control Block(Appendices). Nothing useful will happen until you get those chip selects programmed!
APPENDIX I - 80186/80188 Differences page 78 physical of Intel Application note AP-186

Not much, less than a page... This is for those of us that have dabbled with Spock.

Back