• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New England Looking for a NeXT 4000a monitor

Covers: Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maine.

FUNCLE

Experienced Member
I'm guessing these are getting rare. Looking for a NeXT 4000a monitor.

It's not as bad as you might think --- you can get them from Rob Blessin's Black Hole Inc. in Colorado, who is pretty much the purveyor of all things NeXT these days. The website is not the easiest to navigate, but if you can't find a listing to buy, try dropping a line or asking on the nextcomputers.org forums (which Rob also runs).

Rob mentioned on the NeXT forum recently getting a bunch of non-working 4000A and 4000B monitors off eBay; maybe they'll get fixed up in time! Or perhaps you could offer to buy a broken one and take a chance on fixing it. Caps could well be the issue: there's a logic board with 47 uF SMD caps that leak everywhere, and then in my 4000A, the analog board had the leakiest ELNA "Long Life" caps that I'd ever seen, or smelled (yuck).

I'd opt for the 4000B even though the stand doesn't look as cool: the 4000A is prone to dimming owing to degradation of the cathode. Apparently the 4000B was better about that.

That widens my search field a bit. I'll keep an eye out and ears to the ground for either 4000A and 4000B monitors now. Thanks.

Back