• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for all Infocom Adventures for CP/M

Svenska

Experienced Member
I have made a program called INFORUN to run all V3 games, even those which may not have been released for CP/M. Uses the original ZORK interpreter, assembles with z80asm.

I tried the following games: ZORK 1-3, ENCHANTER, SOURCERER, SPELLBREAKER, PLANETFALL, STATIONFALL, PLUNDERED HEARTS, BALLYHOO, STARCROSS, DEADLINE. Others, such as Hitchhikers Guide, may also work.

Attachments

• inforun.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 8

geowar1

Starcross was the one that hooked me… then Infadel and planetfall and then the enchanter series… Then I discovered Roberta Williams adventure titles… good times!

Svenska

Experienced Member
Whats needed is a LOADER to load and run .Z5 files in CP/M, is that possible ?
I don't think it is possible. Infocom never released a CP/M interpreter for anything newer than V3. I am not aware of any third-party interpreters (for any version) for CP/M either.
My gut feeling tells me that CP/M machines simply lack the ability to run newer adventures efficiently, due to lack of memory and address space.

ChickenMan

Experienced Member
I've heard people say that so many times, I specifically address it in the porting guide.
I have a Microbee 512k unit that runs CP/M 2.2 (actually ZCPR2) that gives me a 414k RAM drive (M: ) So reading your Porting Guide -
  • If you've got large amounts of spare banked memory (~256k) it's just a matter of rewriting the memory paging code for your new target system.
I'm not a programmer but are you able to assist there ?

sijnstra

The more you know! XD
Also have a look at other people who have ported John's excellent work (including myself). Someone has done a page-file based CP/M version, and I've done reduced game support TRS-80 versions that run inside a 64K or even a 48K footprint.

sijnstra

I don't think it is possible. Infocom never released a CP/M interpreter for anything newer than V3. I am not aware of any third-party interpreters (for any version) for CP/M either.
My gut feeling tells me that CP/M machines simply lack the ability to run newer adventures efficiently, due to lack of memory and address space.
I would suggest the main limitation is proper screen control. To run V4 and higher, you need a lot of control over cursor positioning and scroll protect for split-screen, and to get the most out of it, highlighting as well. For some games yes the memory model is a challenge too, but I'm able to run Arthur: The Quest for Excalibur, a version 6 game, on my TRS-80 model I or model 3 (2MHz Z80, 64x16 display, 48K RAM).
Is there a good "universal" terminal code framework lying around or has everyone simply made their own way of getting around the diversity of screen controls?

Last edited:

sijnstra

Oh, a recent Z3 text adventure is Tristam Island from https://hlabrande.itch.io/tristam-island for both a demo & payed version.
There are quite a few post-infocom z3 games, and now thanks to the PunyInform library there are very recent ones. Hibernated 1 (Director's Cut) is commercial quality (including available for some platforms on actual media) which you can check out at https://8bitgames.itch.io/hibernated1
The main reason why PunyInform is recommended is that not only will the game be in z3 format, but the library itself is kept very light and designed with a view to work well on 8 bit platforms. Any of the z3 games on the following page will be a great place to start: https://github.com/johanberntsson/PunyInform#articles