• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for an Atari Falcon

Understood. He's making an assumption though. They had plans to trim down the divisions, properties, etc. of course - something that was already being done under Morgan. But it was more to remove dead weight rather than coming in to see what they could make money selling off. And actually, they had a full plan already in place for both the home console division and the computer division (not just minor upgrades).

Probably true that Warner was already planning at least a portion of that. But when I mentioned Atari selling off hard assets, that was what I had been referencing. I would say he is a reasonably reliable source.

Jeff, I did read your last post. I don't think you were fully reading mine or the context was lost. RJ Mical put a lot of misinformation out there regarding all this, so much so that it's always regurgitated as canon. Rather than jumping to conclusions that you were coming from the same place, I was simply giving you a chance to explain your self.

I think there was some miscommunication here. Although I have no idea who this RJ is...

I was not commenting on the legal matters, nor accusing you of stating anything was not legal.

That was how I read it, my bad...

a) When someone asks you questions, it's because they want to engage in dialogue. And they want to continue that dialogue better informed on the other person's viewpoints rather than make assumptions on what they think the other is referring to.
b) I asked you repeatedly why you thought it was "wacky" and "odd". Now you finally gave the answer "I don't see what Atari got out of it".

Your "question" came off more confrontational when I read it. I probably wasn't clear when I said I thought it was an odd business deal, but I felt you were striking me down outright as totally wrong. Again, a miscommunication on both sides, I suspect.

c) What Atari got out of it:

Fantastic! Mystery solved! This makes much more sense. Now the business deal doesn't seem so odd. A licensing agreement, what a snore... The "wrong" version was much more interesting ;).

On the contrary, it's hardly a "minor transaction". It's still a major point of contention between the Atari and Amiga communities, is intimately tied to the corporate histories of both companies during this transition period and what was going on overall, and is tied to the "origins" of the entire ST line.

Let me correct myself, in that case. It is a minor transaction to everyone outside the fans of two dead computer companies ;).

Probably true that Warner was already planning at least a portion of that. But when I mentioned Atari selling off hard assets, that was what I had been referencing. I would say he is a reasonably reliable source.

In regards to GEM development yes, in regards to business goings on, no. He was not involved in any of that, and I'd trust my talks with Leonard Tramiel a bit more. It was not their intent to come in and see what money they could make off of things. It was certainly their intent to "trim the fat" and start making the company profitable in the face of all the debt they took on (which they did by '87). But it was no different than what Morgan was doing trying to reorganize the company in to NATCO before it was split up on him.

I think there was some miscommunication here. Although I have no idea who this RJ is...

RJ Mical was the designer of the Amiga's GUI and a few other related things, and was co-creator of what became the Atari Lynx. He's also the chief Amiga storyteller.

Here's his resume.

Let me correct myself, in that case. It is a minor transaction to everyone outside the fans of two dead computer companies ;).

Much like the DEC Rainbow. ;)

Back