• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for disk images - Research Machines 380z

Iainjh

Hi

Myself and a few others are collating disks, disk images and programs for the Research Machines 380z. It's a CP/M machine that was widely used in UK schools in the early 80's just before the BBC micro was launched. It provided the first use many British schoolkids had of micro's and computer programming, and along with it's software played a very important part in the 1980's uk computer revolution.

Anyway, there were a surprising number of specific educational and games programs written for it (and hundreds of games written on it by schoolkids, inc me :) ) that are in danger of disappearing with the dreaded disk-rot. Hence we are trying to locate any Research Machines disks we can, before it's too late

Presently we have imaged & extracted about 50 disks worth; they will go on the yahoo 380z group and an archive site we're setting up, www.rml380z.org

Please does anyone here have any 380z (or 480z) disks you might have picked up along the way?

We've been imaging them to IMD's and using the normal tools to extract. Have a script to extract individual files and provide dir listings so we'll get them up on the site in no time. If anyone can share images they've done please let me know, or we can make images here and return disks to you...

cheers!

Iain, UK

PS if anyone can find a copy of an rml basic program "ace invaders", extra points will be awarded :)

I've got audio files of a RML 380Z cassette tape containing a couple of boring technical programs (apparently to do with surveying + mastermind game) which I wrote as a student. Probably not what you're after, but PM me if they're of any interest.

I have several boxes of 380Z programs on 5 1/4 floppy. From memory includes CPM, ZASM, TXED, Basic, ALGOL, BCPL, Adventure Game plus others.

Rich

Last edited:
Back