• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for Insight on "Calibrating" Duodisk Alps 5.25" Floppy Drive

ignis-fatuus

Well I say Calibrate, but really I'm not kitted out for the real deal--meaning oscilloscope, etc., required for a proper calibration. I've been working on a Duodisk setup and am kinda stumped. The first drive works just as it should, which is helpful as it allows me to run diagnostic software. The second drive, however, has been a bit more fussy. Originally it wouldn't read anything at all due to a low RPM speed. After tweaking the trim pot and getting the drive to spin up to its requisite 300 RPM, the drive is able to read, but not without errors; most of the errors seem to be in the earlier tracks. I first cleaned the head and rails with ISO and conducted a disk verification test.

Upon initial testing I was getting an error pattern (see fig. 1) that made me think the drive might be misaligned--which may still be the case.
20221120_105509.jpg
(Fig. 1)

It occurred to me that I might check out the drive belt to see if that could be the culprit. After cleaning the belt and the pulleys, I thought I was in the clear, but every once and a while I'll get a couple of errors early within the first couple of tracks (see fig. 2). I figure I it'd be best to replace the belt entirely as it may not be as tight as it should. I've noticed that the head of the first drive (the one that works) moves along the rails just a tad faster than the one that gives occasional errors. Is there any chance I should consider lubricating any components? The service manual for the Duodisk says only to clean the rails with ISO but I think that I've heard of people using white lithium grease on the rails to good effect. Should anything else be lubricated? I'm not seeing much by the way of old/dry grease on any of the metal components making me think that I should leave most of the moving parts alone (other than basic cleaning with ISO).
20221120_170412.jpg
(Fig. 2)

If anyone has any insight to my current problem I'd be most grateful for your input and help.

I cannot provide any specific tips for the read issues, but I would warn against use of lithium grease on the guide rails. It will just pickup dust and gum things up. The rails are supposed to be shiny and dry of any lubricant.

Back