• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

looking for Mbasic Cross reference tool

furball1985

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a tool called PMAP made by "software house" around 1982/83.
It would parse a .BAS(ascii) file and generate a comprehensive cross reference listing of that file.

I've looked but I can't can't locate it. there are similar tools for C and pascal under Cp/M but i'm looking for a version for Mbasic.

if you have suggestions for a utility/tool that can do the same i would love to hear about it.

I found a few homebrew tools XREF.bas (1981) and XREF19.bas (which is updated by another author in around 1986)

but they are not as advanced as PMAP was.

any other suggestions welcome.

Curious, what is the result of a BASIC cross reference? I'm not familiar with complicated, multi-file BASIC programs, which is typically where a cross reference is handy. Just curious what you're looking for. A list of variables? A list of which lines use which variables? What lines call a GOSUB (and, I guess, a GOTO)?

it will give you a list of all variable names and which lines they are found on.
it can also give you a listing of where any functions, statements are used.

there is customization for how much detail you want to have in the output.

things like it will generate a count of statements used, 'the program has 500 GOTO statements' things of that nature.
you can also tell the cross reference all the basic files you wish it to run through if your merging other code.

global variables when one basic program calls another.

The PMAP program is laid out in a book i found on MBASIC and was hoping a copy was around somewhere.

XREF19 can do some things PMAP can. I'm thinking of extending XREF19s abilities since PMAP might just be lost to time.

Back