• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

looking for old pc for rebuild

kcpanther60

hello i am new to the forum i am looking to build a 486 for retro gaming and internet surfing i have had one since i was a kid..
i can travel but more willing to pay shipping..need case,and all parts to build....i am in Kansas City,Missouri i might be a ways away from most in here their is not many places around here that still sell or know where to get old pcs..i love them but its harder to find them here..

Best thing to do is have words with some of your local computer shops. Explain what you want, and suggest a suitable price, and ask that whenever they sell a new computer, they ask customer if they have an old one they'd like a new home for.

Geoff

Post a wanted ad on craigslist. That's honestly how i've gotten like 50% of the stuff in my collection.

I've posted in the "wanted" area, and a post in the "computers" area for good measure. The amount of responses i get is usually impressive. If there's a local Freecycle still active in your area, that's a good route as well. Actually got multiple bins full of Commodore stuff, and one of my 486s from a Freecycle wanted ad...free, obviously. Made my ad pretty vague and did end up with a handful of Pentium 3-4 era stuff as well, but found homes for most of it.

Back