• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for ROM Images for a CBM 4040 drive and 6510 Kernal for a TED System

DistantStar001

Experienced Member
I recently "fixed" my C16. And by "fixed," I mean I tried to replace the 8501 with a 6510, only to discover that the replacement ROM chip was not working. Replacing with the original ROM and CPU brought it back. I tried multiple 6510s and all had been tested in multiple C64s. So I'm relatively sure that the replacement CPUs were not the problem.

In any case,I also have a CBM 4040 floppy drive that needed a similar part substitution, in this case it was the 6530 RRIOT which I ordered from Monotech, due to a single flash error that indicated either a zero page RAM fail related to the 6530 or a bad 6504. I ended up replacing both, however, the issue continued. This has me wondering if I ordered the right ROM version for my drive.

As such, I'm wondering if anyone has or can direct me to the correct files for these so that I might program a replacement? Assuming I can with the Promenade C1 I got for my C64.

I had to replace one of the ROMs (901468-11) on my 3040 (pretty much the same as a 4040). They're expensive to find a direct replacement so I used a 27128 EPROM and the adapter below:

Colin.

AFAIK, the 6510 isn't drop-in compatible with the 8501.
There are a couple of 8501 replacements being made.

This one is FPGA, and he only makes a batch occasionally since they are not in high demand.

Another uses a 6502 with an add-on daughter board.

Perfect! Thanks. But I still need the new Kernal for the 6510.

I had to replace one of the ROMs (901468-11) on my 3040 (pretty much the same as a 4040). They're expensive to find a direct replacement so I used a 27128 EPROM and the adapter below:

Colin.
Good to know. I'm not sure what ePROMs I have, but if I can erase the one sent and reprogram with the correct image, then I shouldn't need an adaptor. At least not for the 4040. I'm also looking to program a new PAL Kernal for my VIC-20 and I understand that an adaptor may be needed depending on the ePROM used.

AFAIK, the 6510 isn't drop-in compatible with the 8501.
There are a couple of 8501 replacements being made.

This one is FPGA, and he only makes a batch occasionally since they are not in high demand.

Another uses a 6502 with an add-on daughter board.
I've seen these, but unfortunately, where I live the combined cost with shipping is often as much or even more than an original 8501.

Back