• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for someone near Portland Oregon that likes to ship big heavy things...

Ozzuneoj

Experienced Member
This is kind of a shot in the dark, but an acquaintance of mine online has a very large, very heavy and very nice old CRT monitor that he wants to give me, but being that its nearly 100lbs he decided he doesn't want to ship it. Problem is, I'm in Pennsylvania and he is near Portland Oregon.

If anyone here has experience packaging CRT monitors safely, I'd pay you to pack it up and ship it. We can discuss the price before the item is picked up, but I want it to be worth your while. I just ask that we use the selling app Mercari for the transaction, since it would bring the shipping cost down to the $50-$70 range, rather than costing $200+ for standard shipping alone. The item would be free for you to pick up so there's no "you pay for this, then I pay you back" nonsense.

Obviously it'd have to be someone with solid references and a good reputation here (and other places preferably) so we can keep the transaction honest. I have a fairly substantial online presence and references myself (here, amibay, vogons and eBay). I'd rather let it go than risk getting ripped off or having it be destroyed, so please only serious inquiries!

Please let me know ASAP because I don't know how long he'll be able to hold on to it... could be a day, could be two... maybe less.

At work, we pack and ship stuff every day. No way would I ship a 100lb vintage CRT monitor by any of the usual methods (FedEx, UPS, etc).

Assuming the packaging takes it over the 100lb mark, GPX is out too.

That leaves LTL freight. You're going to be looking at $500, plus or minus $200 or so, plus the cost of crating it. Not to mention that LTL is a mystery to most people.

NB: This isn't an offer. I'm in Texas and not anywhere near close enough to help. I just thought it might be useful to give you an outline of what you're looking at.

Thanks for the advice. It isn't extremely old (15-17 years), if that makes any difference.

It's not looking good at this point unless someone else has actually done this before and knows of another more reasonably priced method.

UPS offers a vintage electronics packaging & shipping service. It's relatively expensive (added about $70 to my shipping costs) but I sent two EGA monitors from Ohio to West Virginia a couple years ago with that service. Never heard from the buyer again, so I count that as satisfied.

If memory serves (this was back in 2016) they take your monitor, and inject foam around it to protect it. Insurance was only $100, so I paid a few $$ more to kick that up to $300. Maybe $5-$10 more.

Call your local UPS and tell them you want to ship a vintage computer monitor. On the other hand, mine were standard EGA 14" monitors; one IBM, one Zenith. Weighed a lot less.

Still, a phone call or visit won't cost you anything.

Back