• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for source/disk image from a book

BloodyCactus

Experienced Member
Got this book off ebay, it has a 5.25 in the back (I dont have a 5.25 drive!)
"On Command: Writing a Unix-Like shell for MS-DOS" by Allen Holub from 1986

Looking for a disk image or the contents, if anyone has it..

75AfHAFh.jpg

Hi there,

Since you said you did not have a 5 1/4" floppy drive, I though I would look on eBay for one that maybe usb interfaced. Seems like that does not exist..

However I was utterly STUNNED at the price of secondhand 5 1/4" floppy drives, some going for $30 and other going $110.

All the more annoying as I had thrown out about 20 two years back.

Anyways as to your need to read that 5.25" floppy to get the code.

a. ask here if there is someone near your with a machine that can read it and put it on say 3.5" floppy or usb stick
b. find and go to a PC user group in your city and take disk
c. go to a Uni or TAFE near you and ask very nicely the IT support dept.
d. try a major library in your city, sometimes they still back office team that can actually assist you.

You could look up the publisher of book, and see if they have a download folder on their website. If Not send them a email to their support group and ask if they have it archived.

if the code is printed in the book then you can try OCR'ing it. I have done this a few times in the past.

hope this helps.

Cheers mate? where in Melbourne are you? I grew up in Springy/Noble Park.

Strangely, I didnt think to mail Allen, I have a whole bunch of his other compiler books, for some reason, didnt connect that was him.

Cheers mate? where in Melbourne are you? I grew up in Springy/Noble Park.

Strangely, I didnt think to mail Allen, I have a whole bunch of his other compiler books, for some reason, didnt connect that was him.

Hi BC, well I was born and lived in Elsternwick/Caulfield, then after 50 there moved to the Varra Valley East of Melb. in country Victoria. Its actually a move I partly regret, as there is no work for me in the nearest town.

Back