• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for System V UNIX discs for AT&T 3B2/310

mpatoray

Experienced Member
Hi all,

It looks like my 3B2 has mad a mess of its system software, I get various file missing errors when booting.

I am looking for either a copy to buy or someone who can make me a copy of the System software discs, also I know AT&T made software for this box, it would be cool to get some of that.

Thanks,

Matt

I'm not that good at Unix, so I'm kinda at a loss at making the images. Instuctions at the bottom of the download page say:

File Name - All diskettes used for the AT&T 3B Computers are Double Sided (DS), Double Density (DD), Soft Sectored (Soft), 96TPI. However, there were various methods of recording data on the diskettes, depending upon which DEVICE was used. The "dd" suffix on the file names indicates that this is an image created with the UNIX "dd" command. To create a useable copy you must have an identically formatted diskette. Then you can issue the UNIX command: "dd if=Copy_FileName of=DEVICE". This project is a work in progress, so report all the errors you can. I assume some UNIX familiarity as well as knowledge of how to download these files to your computer system and then create useable diskettes. If you don't have that basic knowledge, you are in the wrong directory.

The files for the OS don't have dd as an extension so I'm not sure what to do with them. Their file size is 720k.

Okay, get yourself some 360K 5.25" floppies and a PC with a 1.2MB drive. Install and boot Linux (or boot from a live CD or flash drive). Get to a terminal (command) prompt.

Let's assume that your drive is DOS drive B:, the name that you'd use for it would be /dev/fd1h720. Okay, run fdformat /dev/fd1h720 on each floppy. If your 5.25" 1.2MB drive was A:, you'd call it /dev/fh0h720.

Then transfer the files to the fioppy using dd if=file name of=/dev/fd1h720. You'll need to either be logged in as root or use su or sudo to get to root privileges.

That's it--you'll have your floppies!

Back