• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking to buy a NCR 8496 3 voice sound Tandy chip! Please help!

CarlosTex

Experienced Member
Hi there,

i've been working on the Tandy patching project, bringing patched binaries to allow forced 3 voice Tandy sound on a non Tandy 1000 PC, via either a Tandy ISA card, or a TNDLPT parallel port dongle.

I really need to find one of these NCR 8496 3 voice chips, which are clones of the SN76496 chip. With the introduction of the Tandy 1000 EX and HX, I think Tandy Radioshack started using these chips exclusively from then on, and then just including them on the PSSJ. Tandy 1000 SX should be a toss up, some can probably be found with the SN76496 while later SX's may already have a NCR 8496.

I'm looking to buy one (or 2) chip(s) or i don't mind buying a non-functional EX or HX motherboard, as long as the NCR chip is functional. It's really important for me to have one of these chips to test out and compare vs the regular SN ones.

Thank you!

I have two Tandy 1000EX motherboards you are welcome to. The computers sat out in the weather for 20 years so they were a bust for restoration, however the chips are intact and in usable condition. Send me your address and I'll send them out to you. Terry.

Back