• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LSI-11 experimentation project

saipan59

Experienced Member
I haven't touched my DEC stuff in a couple of years, but now getting back to it again.
In the picture below:
LSI-11, 32KW RAM, DLV11-J.
The backplane is from a VT-103. The power supply is from a Rainbow.
The console goes to a simple level converter (from Sparkfun), which then goes to a T.I. MSP430FR5994 eval board, which then goes to my PC via USB.
The TI board includes a micro-SD card socket. I wrote an app for the TI board that is like an "intelligent terminal emulator", in combination with Putty running on my PC. The app lets me (for example) load a serial bootloader via ODT, then load/unload images in/out of RAM.
I have a stand-alone image of Forth working on the setup. The bootloader loads in about 5 seconds (via ODT), the Forth image loads in 10 seconds (in binary; it is 5.5KB). The images are stored on the SD card, or can be dumped to Putty.

Pete
DEC_LSI-11.jpg

Thumbs up for this working combination :)
If you want to make some further development on it - do you know Joerg Hoppes LSIbox Project?
http://www.retrocmp.com/projects/lsibox
Thanks! And yes, I had looked at that page recently. I'm now trying to decide on packaging options. I switched to a H9281 4-slot-dual BP, and added an 11/03 switch panel. I have an industrial server PS that is smaller than the Rainbow supply. I may add a period-correct 7-segment display...

Pete

Back