• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

M2551A drive issues

m1k3e

Hi all,

I recently picked up a DTK turbo XT clone off eBay a few months ago that I finally got around to working on. I managed to get the NEC MFM drive working (even though it was loose in the case!) but the 360KB floppy (Fujitsu M2551A) is driving me crazy so I figured I’d reach out for some much needed help.

When I first received the computer, the drive was set up as the B drive, with a 1.44 MB floppy drive set up as the A drive. The 1.44 MB drive worked without issue, but the Fujitsu drive was DOA. I bought a new old stock M2551A drive off eBay but this new drive couldn’t read or format any known good 360 KB disks.

I loaded ImageDisk onto the computer and got to work trying to get the new drive working. I did the RPM test and it averaged 300 RPM per minute as expected.

IMG_3679.jpeg

I formatted a known good disk on my 5170’s 360 KB drive via DOS and used that disk for the alignment test. The drive failed the alignment test, so I removed the drive and adjusted the stepper motor and top head until all tracks were found and reported 18 hits for both head 0 and head 1.

IMG_3680.jpeg

The drive now appears to be aligned, but I still can’t read or format known good disks via DOS. I get the “data error reading drive A” when formatting or attempting to read a disk.

IMG_3681.jpeg

Am I missing something here? The controller that came with the computer is an LCS-6610F.

IMG_3682.jpg

I’m using the original floppy cable that came with the computer which appears to be in good condition. The drive is set as DS1 and there is a terminator resistor on the drive. I also tried the drive on a Magitronic XT clone and had the exact same issue, so I’m assuming it’s not the controller or cable.

This is my first time attempting to do any work on a 5.25" drive, so any help would be very much appreciated!

Mike

It worries me a bit that you had to mess with the alignment. Those Fujitsu drives are usually very reliable and should never need that.

In the Imagedisk alignment mode, can you successfully seek other tracks and then back to track zero repeatedly? Use this mode to make sure all 40 tracks are readable.

It doesn't make sense that the DOS format would get all the way through verification and then give you a data error.

Have you tried a different disk formatter?

What happens if you read the formatted disk, that now allegedly has a disk error, back with ImageDisk?

One thing I would try, is seeing is Norton Utilities disk editor can access sectors on a disk that has been freshly formatted on your other machine - and if so manually try changing and writing the sector to see if it still readable.

It worries me a bit that you had to mess with the alignment. Those Fujitsu drives are usually very reliable and should never need that.

In the Imagedisk alignment mode, can you successfully seek other tracks and then back to track zero repeatedly? Use this mode to make sure all 40 tracks are readable.

It doesn't make sense that the DOS format would get all the way through verification and then give you a data error.

Have you tried a different disk formatter?

What happens if you read the formatted disk, that now allegedly has a disk error, back with ImageDisk?

One thing I would try, is seeing is Norton Utilities disk editor can access sectors on a disk that has been freshly formatted on your other machine - and if so manually try changing and writing the sector to see if it still readable.
Thanks for the suggestions! Your suggestions made me realize that while the drive was aligned, I couldn't actually read or write from many of the tracks (I wasn't using the read functionality of the alignment test).

Quite embarrassingly, it turns out that I had been using unlabelled DS/HD disks the entire time. The lack of the plastic ring was the give away 🤦‍♂️. Apparently my 360K B: drive on my AT had little problem formatting and reading these disks as 360 KB, but the Fujitsu drive couldn't read or write to them well.

I'm happy to report that all is working now! Thanks again for your help!

Mike

Back