• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac LC series assembler?

mrarkus

What is the best assembler IDE for the LC series? LC III if that matters, but I would like to play with the 68k CPU, just very new to the classic Macs and not sure where to start?

You'll need MPW (Macintosh Programmer's Workshop) if you want to use the official Apple tools.

If you want to use third party development software, there are other options:

If you are accustomed to *nix development on the command line, you'll find that MPW is similar enough, and also offers a GUI for the various tools and their switches.

I've been using MPW for Macintosh assembly language development for over 2 years now.

Is there a decent way to cross-develop for System 6 or 7 from a Linux system?

Install a Macintosh emulator like Basilisk II.

You'll need to find a dump of a Mac II ROM to run the emulator. There's a tool to extract the ROM from a Macintosh, but I forget what it's called.

You may get spoiled by the emulator, because it's A LOT faster than a regular Mac, especially a stock LC III.

I'd like to develop within a Linux environment, not inside an emulator, if I can avoid it. I know that the MacMinix loader ("macboot") was built within Minix [source], but I was wondering if a modern-ish (at least ANSI C, preferrably C99) cross-toolchain exists. The Minix 1.5 era ACK appears to be mostly K&R still.

The problem you will run into is the Macintosh C runtime really isn't compatible with the 68000 compilers of the Unix world.
If you're going to be building code for the LC, it is much easier to do it with any of the half-dozen Macintosh C compilers and debuggers.
On a small machine, Think C is quite nice.

Back