• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac Plus video issue

I got the caps pictured below from Digi-key today. My other cap is still in California. Are these caps OK to use?

Yup, looks like those are your replacement film (x2) capacitors so those are good to swap in.

Side note, I doubt it matters here, but maybe next time you might want to take the photo without your contact information :)

Finally received the replacement horizontal deflection capacitor tonight. Soldered it in during a break in mowing. Turned it on and got what I think is a normal screen. Got excited and tried my System 6.07 disk. Got it to boot once, but couldn't do anything except move the cursor around. Either something wrong with the computer or the mouse I bought has a bad button. I will have to look up the pinout and test. Couldn't get it to boot again with that disk. Got out my 3.5" head cleaning disk and now my copy of Mac Copy II boots. Booted it several times. System 6.07 is still not working. I assume dirty heads killed it. Cannot try ejecting it until I get the mouse to work. Manually ejecting until them. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0557.jpgIMG_0558.jpgIMG_0559.jpgIMG_0561.jpgIMG_0562.jpgIMG_0563.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0565.jpg

What is the thing in the last photo? It fell out when I removed the cover. Is it needed to assure conductivity between the case halves? If it is necessary, where does it go?

And last but certainly not least … Thanks to all of you who helped me get this far!

Edit: My apologies for the sideways pictures. They show OK on my computer before I attached them.

Last edited:
Hard to tell, but i think that's the piece that goes on the back bottom of the analog board where it screws into the bottom frame, just under the power cord.

Not your fault on the pictures, the site automatically rotates landcape photos that way.

I read about problems with the M0100 mice and then tried bending the wire at the strain relief while clicking. If I bend way left, it woks sometimes. Contacted eBay seller because it was describes as "Pulled from a working environment". Ordered a keyboard and mouse from another seller. Hope they work. I was able to test ejecting a disk ... and, of course, that doesn't work. I will pull the drive. Hopefully it is just the usual plastic gear that I can get from eBay. I found where the metal piece is supposed to be. It seems to have broken off of a bigger part. I will just leave it off. I bought a Zip Plus to go with this and am waiting on a USB Zip 100 so I can download an image and create a boot Zip disk. If that woks, I will look for either another Zip Plus or a SCSI Zip 100. I like the Zip Plus because it is both SCSI and parallel.

Got a few minutes to work on this tonight. I removed the motherboard. Nice surprise, it has 4 MB of RAM. Removed the floppy drive and then the eject motor from it. Another nice surprise. The gears look great. Put a drop of machine oil on the motor gear and lubed all of the sliding parts I could identify. Manually inserted and ejected a disk several times until everything seemed to move freely. Reinstalled the eject motor and motherboard. Hooked the drive up outside the computer. After several tries managed to get the mouse to work long enough to click “eject” ... and it ejected! Time to solder in the RIFA capacitor and put it all back together. Then I just hope the keyboard and mouse I have coming actually work.

Got a keyboard and mouse today. Soldered in RIFA capacitor, adjusted the voltage, height, width and cutoff. Re-assembled the computer and hooked up the mouse and keyboard. Glad to report everything is working great! Disks insert so much easier and they auto-eject every time now.

IMG_0566.jpg

Just need the battery and my USB ZIP drive to create a system ZIP disk and it should be done.

I realize it has been a while since my last update. I got the battery so it now holds the correct date, time, and control panel settings. The eject mechanism of the disk drive quit...broken gear. I had a very nice experience with the guy who 3D prints them. The first one fit the shaft too tight and broke when I tried to widen the hole. He sent me not one, but four replacements so I could try various means to resize the hole. It turned out that the first thing I tried worked. Alost, a nice thing is that he lives in a suburb of Cincinnati so shipping was fast. I now also have two SCSI Zip 100 drives. The first one I had to assemble from pieces since it didn't work correctly when I got it. The eject button didn't work and the clear window was missing, but it did work and auto eject. I had a broken Zip 100 Plus so I took the front panel and top from it to make it work. I did have to hot glue together the case, but it now works fine. I then found a good deal on another SCSI Zip 100 and a parallel port one. That one seems to be perfect. I used the images from Tomek's blog to create Zip disks of Systems 6.0.8, 7.0.1, 7.1.1, and 7.5.5. 7.5.5 runs a bit slow, but is the last OS that will run on it. I don't know what to do with it now, but I had fun fixing and building it. I was amazed at how similar to using a modern Windows system it is. Almost no learning curve. Here is a picture of the final system.

Final system with SCSI Zip 100.jpg

Back