• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac SE/30: won't boot from hard drive

ahm

Staff member
I have a Mac SE/30 that someone gave me. I eventually got a new system loaded onto the hard drive and it seemed to be working fine. Then one day it would no longer boot from the hard drive. I am able to boot from a floppy though. Is my SCSI controller toasted? Thanks, Andy.

Have you replaced the battery on the Macintosh SE/30 recently Andy?
I've installed a 2GB Seagate SCSI hard drive on my SE/30 and installed
OS 7.5 on it.

(I suppose I should start checking in here more often)

Jon Jarmon said:
Have you replaced the battery on the Macintosh SE/30 recently Andy?
No, I haven't replaced the battery. But now the machine will no longer boot from floppy either. Without a disk inserted, the machine acts as if there's no hard drive in it and boots to a "question mark floppy" icon. If I insert a floppy (for example, Disk Tools System 7.0.1) it will get as far as "Welcome to Macintosh" and just stop. There is a pointer on the screen, and I can move it around, but the floppy appears to have stopped spinning and nothing else happens. I've tried a couple of other floppy disks with similar results.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well then your battery is O.K. so it could be either your SCSI hard drive has failed,maybe scsi controller has failed(less likely than your hard drive),or your microdisks or microdisk drive is bad(although it would be wierd to have both disk drive failure and SCSI hard disk failure at the same time).
I am not sure.Maybe you could get another thrift store toaster Mac and gut it for replacement parts for your Mac SE/30.
If your system disks are corrupted,you could go to the Home page of Gamba http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/
He has a lot of helpfull tips.

It has been a while since I last posted here because my father passed away in July 2004(That's his picture displayed).
I am doing alright now though,but am still saddened by his loss.
Dad was a WW2 B17 bomber pilot.

Command-Power

Command-Power

I know of a way to check if there's something wrong with the hardware as opposed to software on your SE/30. When it powers up to the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen and stops spinning the disk, hit the command and power keys at the same time. Then, at the debug prompt, type in G FINDER and hit return. It just might get you into the OS. If it does, then there's a problem with the software on the disk. If not, then it could be the software or hardware.

Cheers,

The Czar

Back