• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac SE and SyDos 88e

Sparkfist

I'll be getting a Mac SE pretty soon, and I have an old SyDos 88e external removable hard drive. The SyDos uses SCSI-1 DB25 connector and I have all the hardware, my big question is can I use it with the Mac?

Sparkfist

The SE does have the right SCSI connector. Though will I need any software to interact with it? If that's the case I've had a hard time finding anything on how to use it for just DOS, let alone MacOS. So if anyone has experience with it or know what I need please share.

It's more that I want to know what's needed to get it running. I'm not very knowledgeable about older computer, and am clueless about SCSI devices. If you use an application or some sort of driver to interface with it, I'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get it.

I've never used it. As far as I know this SyDOS 88e is in working order, in fact it was given to me because the previous owner didn't want/need it anymore.

Last edited:
It's more that I want to know what's needed to get it running. I'm not very knowledgeable about older computer, and am clueless about SCSI devices. If you use an application or some sort of driver to interface with it, I'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get it.

I've never used it. As far as I know this SyDOS 88e is in working order, in fact it was given to me because the previous owner didn't want/need it anymore.

Well, basically, plug in the external HD, power it on and if it has the Finder folder on it, it should boot from the external when you power on the SE.

You don't say if your particular unit has an internal HD, but, the system should boot off the first Finder folder it comes across.

If it doesn't boot from anything, then either nothing has the Finder or the drive is, possibly a} defective or b} has an operating system the SE can't cope with.

Well, a wrong partition format would be enough for not being found.
You should try some hard disk driver software for it.
I can't remember which one I used back when I installed my IIci.

I just got a Mac SE FDHD from a guy on freecycle and it does boot from external removable drives (My Syquest 44MB drive) when it is properly formatted.

Back