• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac SE line though monitor :(

tonydiato

I just got this old Mac SE. It worked before I took it apart to blow the dust out. I also removed the mother board and connected the cables back. Any Idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Tony
mac se.jpg

Yoke connector solder joint cracked... Yoke connector burnt... bipolar cap went bad... bad solder on width inductor.... Those are the usual culprits.
So it’s not the CRT? And are these parts that you suggest are they all on the board that I could find used online? Or are these all different parts?

So it’s not the CRT? And are these parts that you suggest are they all on the board that I could find used online? Or are these all different parts?

It won't be the CRT so long as you immediately turn it off and keep it off until you fix the problem. Vertical and/or horizontal collapse is a quick way to burn the screen phosphor.

If you must do debugging with the machine on, reach under the bottom left of the bezel and roll the brightness knob all the way down to where you can barely see the raster to avoid burning the screen.

There could be several things wrong with the analog board that would cause the screen to collapse, as well as on the yoke. I'd recommend starting off with reflowing ALL of the solder joints on the analog board and doing a recap on it. I'd also recommend recapping the power supply, because those are notorious for capacitor leakage.

Back