• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh Classic

stangman517

Experienced Member
Hello all.

Eh just from grins I was looking at one of these computers for sale on eBay and it doesn't start up, but has a little floppy image in the center of the screen. What does this mean? Is it simply the HDD has failed or the system is void of one? Don't know any other info as far as model goes.

Is it hard to find HDDs for these old systems?

Thanks.

Some Classics had an HDD, some didn't so all we really know at this point (without the model #) is that it has failed to boot.

Oddly enough, I got a Classic last week. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, though.

That icon just means it didn't find a boot disk in its available drive resources

If that classic had a hard drive or a bad drive I dunno

The Classic uses a fairly common 50 pin SCSI hard drive. I think the stock drives were 40-80 meg but a later 1-4 gig drive should work too. Personally, I think you'd be better off with a SCSI2SD or other flash solution though.

Also, the Classic could boot into a stripped down copy of System 6 in ROM. I think it was the only Mac to ever have that capability.

Not to toot my own horn, but in my video about it, I cover pretty much all the ins & outs of the Mac Classic:

Also, if the speaker is very quiet or totally inaudible even with the volume turned all the way up, and/or the system clock doesn't advance, those are common signs that the logic board needs its electrolytic capacitors replaced. If it gets bad enough, the system won't boot up and will just show a checkerboard pattern on the screen. A temporary fix is to wash the logic board to remove the electrolyte residue, which should get it functional again.

Back