• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Major E-cycle score today!

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Long time since I've posted here, but today I got to tell you about something.

During lunch today I went for a walk over to the University across the road from where I work, to see if I could find something interesting in the recycle room, and guess what?

I found a complete IBM PC XT with the mono monitor and original keyboard.
It has a 256K motherboard, but contains 2 RAM upgrade boards, for a total of 640k
It has an MDA adapter, a HDD adapter and the floppy adapter, all original as well.
It has one FH Shugart floppy drive and one FH HDD labeled with IBM on the front.

EDIT: Oh, and a serial port card it seems.

I also found a PS/2 model M keyboard. There is also a PS/2 system there, but I did not get it yet because carrying the IBM XT was heavy enough alone.

Anyway, I think this PC has been in storage for a very long time, but it works just fine when I powered it on.

It has Word perfect, Norton utilities and DOS on it. No interesting data, so my guess is that this PC was used as a word processor or someting and that all the documents was stored on floppies.

One bad thing is that the stupid university has etched the university name into the casing, the monitor and the keyboard.

Attachments

• freext002.jpg
    freext002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1
  • freext001.jpg
    freext001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1
Thats a great find.. I wonder if the university around here has anything like that.. (Arizona State)

~Mark

Very nice grab/save! The etching eh.. yeah so it's not pristine but it adds to the machines story so that can still be fine. It would be interesting to find out what they used it for.

i just heard that the university has some PDP/11's still in use, as well as one that may be up for grabs.
I went a second time and found a Tiki-100 norwegian produced machine. It runs a CP/M clone OS. I will post a picture later, as it is still in my office at work.

I believe the XT was a word processor, at least that is what it seems, judging from the software on the HDD.
The ugly red colour is removable, but it leaves the etching. Not too bad anyway, and as you say, It is a part of the machines history.

Universities are a great resource for unwanted equipment grabs! They used to be great here too until some crap laws/requirements went into place to destroy or recycle through (ok I'll leave politics out of it) a specific recyclers company. Killed lots of great dumpster diving. The PDP-11 sounds like it's probably due to go.. definitely if you have space grab that one :)

Back