• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Manipulating Disks

bensinc

Experienced Member
I was an Apple II user when they were new, and only had one floppy drive, so I didn't really learn how to manipulate disks, other than duplicating files, etc. I'm now using ADTPro to provide virtual hard drives, and I'm not really sure how to copy files, create directories, etc.

For example, I'd like to copy the contents of a physical floppy to a directory on the virtual hard drive. What's the best way to do that? I usually use Prodos, but it of course doesn't have built-in commands for even something like copying a file.

Maybe there's a preferred third-party file manager?

Thanks!

I've been messing around with trying to get the Aztec shell, or even Filer running with ADPro's virtual drive via ethernet on my IIe Platinum, but am not having any luck. The discussions I found were around the serial virtual drive, which appears to have more options than ethernet.

Basically, I copied Filer and Aztec to a bootable Prodos 8 disk that also contains vedrive. I can't seem to get Filer or Aztec to run after first running vedrive. I get "NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE." If I run Aztec, then try to run vedrive from Aztec, it halts to the monitor.

I feel like maybe it just doesn't have enough memory to run vedrive and something else at the same time, but I'm not sure.

I wish the CF drive boards were available, but the big ones seem to be out for now!

Wow, Ethernet? You are brave. That's really more of a proof of concept than anything... the IP stack takes so much room that there's not a lot of elbow room for anything else. You thought serial was bad with its memory map issues? IP absolutely has to reside in low memory, and it takes up a lot more of it.

I'm sure that's the problem then! I'll keep an eye out for a CF drive!

Indeed it will. I'm not sure I can stuff all the function I need into the space of the Disk II driver, but we will see. Oliver Schmidt was hard at work distilling things down to a minimum set that I'd need, so I'm hopeful. Now I just have to remember where I put his code... :)

Back