• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mark William's Coherent

If you chose version 3.x of Coherent, and had a 286 with 2MB of RAM, and chose B&W (mono) X-Windows, it worked. Granted, you couldn't do much else (Coherent never supported swap), but it did work. I ran it for half a year when I was in tech support. It required 4MB of RAM with 4.x which required a 386.

I started there as technical sales right out of college and while I there I performed jobs such as coding software for the diskette duplicator, running the UUCP-based BBS, joining tech support, and then finally becoming "Director of Tech Support" (because I was the only one left when they had to let everyone else go due to the company starting to fail). It is one of my fondest work memories, as everyone there was very smart and taught a young cocky kid to be less cocky and more professional.

BTW my name is in the manual as "James Leonard". I'm still in touch with Hal Snyder (kernel dev, SCSI driver, sound card driver), Louis Giliberto (IDE and other drivers), Ed Bravo (tech support), Jeff Day (technical sales), Addison Snell (marketing, who later went on to work at SGI and is now a HPC consultant), and a few others. Unfortunately I've lost contact with Stephen Davis who I really wanted to stay in touch with, except he's from the UK and "Stephen Davis" over there is equivalent to "John Smith" in the USA -- one of the most common names in the country so it's nearly impossible to locate the exact person...

If you chose version 3.x of Coherent, and had a 286 with 2MB of RAM, and chose B&W (mono) X-Windows, it worked. Granted, you couldn't do much else (Coherent never supported swap), but it did work. I ran it for half a year when I was in tech support. It required 4MB of RAM with 4.x which required a 386.

I think you're mixing up version numbers. Coherent 3.2.1A was the last of the 3.x and it had no graphics or networking, except for UUCP. I don't think any of that came until 4.0(?), which as you said, required a '386.

I ran 3.2.0 and 3.2.1A for a couple of years. My first link to the Internet was a UUCP link between it and my small-town ISP in Wrentham, MA. Good times. I loved that system and am looking forward to recreating it. I still have everything except the box it came in.

Jim

I think you're mixing up version numbers. Coherent 3.2.1A was the last of the 3.x and it had no graphics or networking, except for UUCP. I don't think any of that came until 4.0(?), which as you said, required a '386.

You are correct, my memory is failing me. I ran 4.x on a 386 with 2MB of RAM with a functional monochrome X-Window system.

How many disks was 3.2.1A Jim? Can you post any pictures by any chance?

I can't recall, sorry. The only disks I have left with COHERENT on the label have been erased and repurposed. (I used to take the diskette duplicator rejects home, since otherwise they'd be tossed in the garbage.)

Back