• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Mid Atlantic MFM Full height

Covers: New York, Pensylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC.

bobconan

Experienced Member
Full height MFM drive wanted, any make, preferable less than or equal to 20mb

Sure at white noise generators... as storage devices? Not so much
Get an xt-ide. +Top tip, If you want to keep the original sound of an mfm drive stick a playing card in the back of your psu fan.
Seriously though, these old drives had a design life of 5 to 10 years, 35 years on you may get lucky for a few more hours, but dont waste too much time on them. I’m currently comming to terms with the loss of my miniscribe 3425.
Heres the process:
Try format c: - oh no!
Try fdisk - oh no!
Try low level format - oh no!
Panic and try spinrite/speedstor/other controller cards/searching ebay.
Game over.
Get an xt-ide. Yay !

Attachments

• 6432C528-EDB1-40DB-93E4-E3ED54AB2648.jpeg
    6432C528-EDB1-40DB-93E4-E3ED54AB2648.jpeg
    939 KB · Views: 10
@fdiskitup i own a couple xtides. a bunch of mfm and rll.. bunch of scsi, Sas, Ide, i have dozens and dozens of drives... but when it comes to 80s drives... the point I?was making was they are all deteriorating. Tick tick tick.... boom

@fdiskitup i own a couple xtides. a bunch of mfm and rll.. bunch of scsi, Sas, Ide, i have dozens and dozens of drives... but when it comes to 80s drives... the point I?was making was they are all deteriorating. Tick tick tick.... boom
Yeah sorry, wasnt really targeting my comments at you, just a general synopsys of my experience over the last few restorations. Im conflicted because after you put in an xtide and a gotek and add a RTX3090 its not really an 80’s machine anymore.

put 3 drops of oil on the stepper motor then make a youtube video about it ?

Old hard drives, modern ones, or flash-based - they are all deteriorating. I have two MFM drives still in use and they don't show any issues, despite running since the late 80s. During the same time, lots of modern drives failed on me and also some CF and SD cards. Bottom line: whatever you use can fail the next day or last for decades to come. So it does not matter. If you want an MFM drive because of the sound and time-frame, get one.

Back