• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Micropolis 1355 drive no head seek

Endersending

Experienced Member
I am trying to get a Micropolis 1355 Disk Drive to work. It was bought as new old stock. When I power it on, the drive spins up but the heads do not seek. I have read about a sticky bumper problem with a rubber bumper the heads sit against deteriorates and makes the heads stick in the park position. I removed the cover from the drive and moved the head multiple times with the drive running and they seem to move like they should. I don't think that is the problem. My next step is to probe the Sx and Sy Test pins on the main PCB to see if it is getting signal to move the head. I found the schematic for the Micropolis 1355 and on page 12 of the PDF it shows the test points for Sx and Sy. To test I was going to put the probe ground on test point 9. I cannot find test point 9. If there is someone who is familiar with these old full height drives could maybe tell me a good spot to ground on the PCB for testing, or where test point 9 is! I spent an hour looking at the board and cannot find it. I have another 1355 with a crashed head that powers up fine so I could gut parts off that if needed. If anyone has insight on these drives and suggestions on where I should be looking to get the head working would be great.
I feel bad that I try to involve other people in my non-significant problems but I am glad it is in a place where other people have the same interests and don't mind helping.
Thanks.

After changing out all of the boards on the drive it is still dead. I can move the head just fine but they are limp so there is no force trying to move them.
I guess the drive is dead.
Also, In the schematic they show test point 9 with a symbol to ground but there is no test point 9. Reading through the instructions say to use the PCB ground.
I will keep the drive around for parts. It was sold as new old stock but its dead.

Back