• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft grey eye mouse drivers dos/windows

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
Just getting my IBM 5160 set up now, and I have a grey eye Microsoft Mouse I want to use with it. The trouble I'm having I believe is drivers, although I can't be certain the mouse doesn't have issues. So far I tried using the stock Windows Microsoft Mouse drivers and nothing, I tried the stock Mouse Systems drivers and I got a cursor on the screen that kind of seemed like it might have recognized it but I couldn't move it or click. Is there a specific driver I need? Or is this lilely a hardware issue instead of software?

If it is serial than any Microsoft serial mouse driver should work. Version 6 or later is generally recommended.

You might want to try the mouse on a different computer to see if it works. Some early serial cards could have issues providing sufficient power. Of course, verify that the COM port is working right.

If the mouse fails on another system, then check to see if any of the wires in the cable have gone bad.

Oh, do button presses register? I've seen some mice where the X/Y IR detectors go bad after some time. (some mouse drivers have a little test.exe program that will show both movement and button presses.)

What does the inside of a grey-eyed mouse look like? I ask because the design reminds me of a particular awful mouse I used to have. Parts inside mice can go bad.

I'm going to do some more troubleshooting today, it's definitely the serial version and not the 9 pin bus cause it's not the earliest "green eye" mouse. I'll try a different port, I am using an early IBM serial card so it might not be providing enough power

There are photos of a grey button mouse that’s the 9 pin bus on that link I posted. Not just the green button mouse.

Rad,

You may want to try Microsoft's DOS MSD utility and check your serial port setup.

Rad,

You may want to try Microsoft's DOS MSD utility and check your serial port setup.

Yeah, I think I have a problem with the computer rather than the mouse. No matter what mouse I plug in or even if there isn't one plugged in it recognizes a Mouse Systems mouse on com2.

Jafir, I do know this mouse is serial, the connector is db9 but not the strange looking db9 like would have been used in the db9 version of the bus mouse.

Back