• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft to extend XP sales for five months

I'm really hoping Microsoft will better prioritize the Vista services in a service pack or something. whenever someone brings me a laptop w/ Vista running on it w/ 1GB of RAM, it barely churns by. I have to disable that one service that slaps extra crap into the RAM on startup, readyboost doesn't need to be set to automatic either, etc.....

EDIT: Also the sidebar's usually the first thing I kill.

Last edited:
My laptop came with Vista and it stayed. For one week. After that the Red Hat/Fedora people got introduced to it. Its much more fun now, I can actually use it instead of watch it load stuff it doesn't need and spy on me.

I **finally** got around to giving Mandriva (hate the new name) 2007.1 a try! VAST improvement over 2006 version. Wireless support actually is working in the 2007 version. Still problems with Broadcom and TI "close to the vest" device drivers but my old pal, ndiswrapper, works like a champ.

Going to play with that Metisse crud in about 10 minutes. Found a laptop that supports the hardware video requirements finally (in my pile of laptops).

Last edited:
Back