• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mid-80s Computer Book Title?

ataritoobin

Experienced Member
Hello-

I had posted this as an anecdote in another thread several years ago, and got back to thinking about it again.

There was a book at the local library (I figure the book was probably published no later than 1985). It was hardbound, maybe a little larger than an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, had a primarily black cover, and I think was a general book about computers and their uses. It was a few hundred pages. Probably wouldn't be surprised if it was titled "Computers" :twisted:

Here's what sticks out about it that I remember:

- On one page there was a large image of an IBM terminal with an axe sticking out of it, with green goop coming out of the screen.
- Had a picture of the early Apple Lisa mouse with the slim button, with the hand on top, similar if not identical to what's seen in old Lisa literature.
- Discussed home security/lighting/power control via a computer.
- I believe discussed OCR/bar codes.

My description could unfortunately hardly be any more vague. :p I've searched on eBay and Amazon but obviously don't have too much to go on. :huh:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well a 20 year search comes to an end - very nearly!

The book was "Computer Fundamentals for an Information Age." An eBay seller happened to have the book listed with a few internal pictures which alowed me to identify the layout.

Interestingly, the distinct memory of a hardbound book with the IBM terminal/axe photo must have been from another book altogether! So another search for that book hehe.

IMG_0569.jpg

Photo Jun 15, 9 27 13 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 15, 9 26 03 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 15, 9 24 40 AM.jpg

wow remember that book! (I mean the one on the picture, not the one you're looking for) a friend of mine lended it to me when he was already a university student and I'm at high school. I thought it would blow my mind away, but obviously I had set my expectations too high and it didn't impress me as much as I hoped. But still it was very interesting

Back