• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mitsumi vs. Hi-Tec keyboard?

behines

I am new to TI-99, would really appreciate advice.

Short Question
I have two TI-99/4A systems, both working.
  • One is the original "metal" system, with the aluminum case and the black keyboard.
  • One is a "beige" system, with the Mitsumi membrane keyboard.
Both are working well. I would like to keep one and sell the other. I much prefer the feel of the "beige" system keyboard.

Which should I keep?

More Info
My first TI-99 was the beige system that I bought a month ago. When I got it home, the Mitsumi keyboard originally didn't work. None of the keys responded at all.

With isopropyl alcohol and a conductive ink pen, I have fully restored the keyboard. Studying the schematics and doing the math, I computed that any key contact that closes with under 244 ohms resistance should work. I have managed to get all the contacts down to 30 ohms or less.

BUT... I have read many posts online that vilify the Mitsumi keyboard. I've read that even if you fix it, it will eventually die again. Of course, I could rehabilitate it again as before, but
  • It's annoying to have to do that
  • Eventually I might "clean away" the carbon contacts altogether, and have nothing left.
Realistically, this is a hobby, not my daily driver. It will get attention for a few hours a week. I love the feel of the Mitsumi keyboard. But how long will it last before I have to refurbish it again? How many times can I refurbish it before it dies? Will periodic use keep the carbon contacts from oxidizing over?

In contrast, the system with the "black" keyboard had a couple of bouncy keys, but a few blasts of contact cleaner seem to have fixed those keys right up. It seems like it will last forever (at least relative to my lifespan). But the keyboard has a heavy feel compared to what we're used to today. (I can't overemphasize how silky smooth the Mitsumi keys feel. A joy to type on.)

TL;DR
I bought the beige system at an estate sale, knowing nothing about TI-99's, but excited to learn about this vintage system. (I grew up on TRS-80's in the 1980's but have been interested to learn more about TI-99.). When I got it home and hooked it to a TV, it appeared to work, but I couldn't type anything.

Then I read about the much-hated Mitsumi keyboard. So I bought another TI-99 "untested", that had the black keyboard, with the intent of harvesting the keyboard. But when I tried it out, shockingly, the "untested" system seems to work flawlessly. So I am not inclined to "harvest" anything from it.

At that point, I thought, "well what the heck" and dug into the Mitsumi keyboard and understanding it. And I was able to get it working great again. (If anyone wants to know more about that process and thinks it worthwhile, prod me and I will post details. It's not that hard.)

So now I have two systems. Superficially, from a simple usability standpoint, I prefer the beige system. Whereas aesthetically, the silver-and-gray system wins. (Although not by much. Atari 800 also went with a beige, so in my mind it's thematic.)

I want to keep one system. My heart is with the Mitsumi beige, but... What Would You Do in my situation?

I'd sell both and get a silver/black one with Alps or General Instrument keyboard.

Attachments

• TI switches.JPG
    TI switches.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 7
Beige is boring. Silver and black all the way.

TI-99d3.jpg

Pity I didn't have the TI turned on when I took the photo. Here is TI Burger Time on my other CRT:

Technic2s2.JPG

Okay, thanks for the tip. I was not aware that there was more than one type of black keyboard. I will do some research. Thanks for the pointer.
Take a look at the "3" on the black keyboard. If it's a "flat top 3", then it's likely to be Hi-Tek or Stackpole. If it's rounded, then it's likely to be Alps or General Instrument. I say "likely" because there may have been even more versions of the keyboard.

Back