• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 100 DVI

framer

Veteran Member
I've been looking for a DVI for my Model 100. Got lucky on fleabay. Got the unit and I re-capped 1/2 doz caps that were leaking but no serious damage was done. The video comes on and asks me to insert a disk. I pulled the drive replaced a couple of caps and got it to boot a ms dos 1.1 disk in a PC. Got it but back together and now have to wait for cable parts to arrive as I need to make a new cable between the DVI and the Model 100.

Anyone have success using a HH 360K drive as drive #2 in this unit.

The computer that came with the unit is the yellowest I've ever seen but the inside were 100%, even the nicad is clean and holding a charge???? Surprise it came with a REX installed.

I'll post again in a week after I get the unit up...

framer

I got the cable and connectors today and got a working cable. It was a good thing I got extras because I trashed a few getting it together. Surprise, it worked better than me. I'd owned and used that unit for 4-5 years in the mid 80's and for a long time it was my only computer. I thought I'd be able to just start and go. Every little thing had to be relearned. I'd forgot about a funky startup procedure. After I shut it down I had a had time getting it going again. Then it worked and after shutting it down again I again had a restart issue. I need to have everything off for about 10 minutes and it will start. Strange...

It only came with a system disks w/user files no utilities files so I going to have to find them somewhere. I'll no more after tomorrow.

framer

Hi Mike,

I DL'd the DVI.DAT file. What program should use to burn the disk? Can I use my old SSDD drive on a IBM PC to burn it?

Thanks
framer

Hi Mike,

I DL'd the DVI.DAT file. What program should use to burn the disk? Can I use my old SSDD drive on a IBM PC to burn it?

Thanks
framer

Grab the .TD0 file instead and find a copy of Teledisk on the web; should work. Drive should be fine.

Well it does seem to have an issue. When turn on from a cold start it boots and works fine. I used it for two hours and not an issue. I put the computer in menu mode and shut the DVI then the computer. If I turn the computer on then the DVI it just sits at a blank screen. The disk light is on and I can close the drive and it reads the disk but the computer locks up.

When cold again 2+ hours later I repeat the process and the monitor show the welcome start up message and then insert floppy message. I close the floppy drive and when the DVI boots I soft boot the Model 100 and it loads the disk basic/dos. I'm off and running. So what stopping the DVI from displaying that 1st message. When it fails to boot the screen is light gray when I get that 1st message it's black with white letters. Monitor acts like it not connected to anything.

I got the teledisk program and created a new system disk. I can use lfiles command but was unable to run the format program. I tried to boot from it but ran into the boot issue above. I think it will boot but I'm going to wait for a cold boot in the morning.

I on another quest...

Thanks for any suggestions,

framer

My system disks work perfect. I think I figured out the issue without being able to restart the DVI. After you 1st get a boot the system is loaded onto the m100. I have to 1st get the m100 to menu mode, shutdown the DVI then shut off the m100.

The 2nd time and there after the boot sequence is slightly different. Turn on the m100, put the boot disk into the floppy drive and close the door before I turn the DVI on. Turn the DVI on and when the system info is shown just hit enter on the m100 and everything is back on the crt.

I was able to format several disks to use.

OK! I couldn't wait till morning to finish it. Next retrobrite the front bezel.

I really don't remembering the startup being that funky but I guess it was.

framer

It does have a problem. I think it getting worse. This morning I left it on about 20 minutes and then dis my shut down and could not get it to get going again. It locked the computer so I had to cold boot it wiping out the dos/basic code in the computer. I have to wait a few hours to try again. Frustrating... Was there a technical reference manual for the DVI unit?

framer

It's looking like it not getting a reset signal to the cpu on warm power up. I've posted in the vintage hardware forum to get info on the issue.

A 4.7uf C77 was bad. It was located next to M21. Once replaced unit works perfect. This is the capacitor the causes the unit to issue a reset to the CPU when the power is turned on.

framer

Back