• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 3, making a bootable floppy.

prime

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have a model 3 with a FreHD, which can boot LDOS 5.3.1 or Newdos. I can format a floppy disk from both but is there an easy way of transfering the system to them so that they are bootable on a mchine without a FreHD (or with the HD disconnected).

Cheers.

Phill.

For LDOS, you could start with BACKUP <source> <destination> (SYS) to move the system files only. Then you'd have to copy other needed files like utilities or BASIC. The destination disk has to be formatted before invoking backup.

Which version of NewDOS?

Manuals for both are on the internet. LDOS info can be found at https://www.tim-mann.org/trs80.html

I found the instructions for LDOS here :

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?44168#2

I have Newdos 80 v2.5 I found an archive of Newdos disks on the web so that one might be in there.

I did try the Newdos86_90m3 disk from the same archive but there is a diosk error, looks like corrupt sectors on about track 30....so it boots and then reports an error :(

Yeah I found the manuals, and had tried various permutations of backup, without hitting on the correct one.

Cheers.

Phill.

On subject of making a bootable floppy....I found in my storage a three ring binder from my old shop on LDOS.

Three ring binder is random binder from shop but inside..... is a like new condition manual LDOS 5.1 for Model I & III models.

I have seen lots of these but I noticed in back up this manual it had an updated added. You can tell it is update because pages are a different color and font with Copyright of 15 Oct 1982 at top.

Maybe everyone has one of these and I just never noticed but its about 25 pages and is titled "moving model iii trsdos programs to LDOS".

It has eight sections.
1. CREATING MIN SYSTEM DISK (how related to this post).
2 moving apps to ldos.
3. moving apps data disks
4. converting RS software for ldos.
5. adding passwords back to files.
6. changes to basic.
7. Changes to machine language programs.
8. Special instructions.

I want to see this end up in a good home one day, just by chance I see it looks like VCF is having a swap meet. But if any of this data helps folks, I think it should be made available as a scan.

D

Last edited:
Back