• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4/4P

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in installing a 3.5" floppy in the drive (0) or (1) slot.

Yes it works fine, you need a new data cable with all the teeth in place, power adapter cables, a drill to put new holes in the disk drive mounting frame (you'll see when you pull your 4P apart). Before you mount everything up you need to set the 3.5" floppy as a 2nd drive, boot from a traditional 5.25" LS-DOS disk and make a bootable 3.5" diskette. The reassemble the system and boot from that floppy disk.

Ian.

Yes it works fine, you need a new data cable with all the teeth in place, power adapter cables, a drill to put new holes in the disk drive mounting frame (you'll see when you pull your 4P apart). Before you mount everything up you need to set the 3.5" floppy as a 2nd drive, boot from a traditional 5.25" LS-DOS disk and make a bootable 3.5" diskette. The reassemble the system and boot from that floppy disk.

Ian.

Hi Ian - The power cable is no problem. The "data cable with all its teeth"? What are we talking about here? I was thinking that I could use the existing cable with a 5.25" to 3.5" data adapter which I have. Also, I'm planning on going with the FreDH mod.

Here are 2 pictures of my 4P. I was lucky to find (a long time ago, in an old PC-XT) a 5.25 -> 3.5 adapter, which has a card edge connector on one side and the usual 34 pins floppy connector on the other side, so I can put any 3.5 drive and "it just works". (on my other TRS80, I modify TEAC 3.5 drives by removing one resistor and they also work with straight cables. for those in the Bay Area, there are still a couple of these drives at Weird Stuff (Sunnyvale), $3 or $4 each...)

IMG_2475.jpgIMG_2476.jpg

I was lucky to find (a long time ago, in an old PC-XT) a 5.25 -> 3.5 adapter, which has a card edge connector on one side and the usual 34 pins floppy connector on the other side, so I can put any 3.5 drive and "it just works".
I've got one of those available if anyone is currently looking for one.

Veco,
Can you explain what Resistor you are removing on the Teac 3 1/2" Floppy Drives? What's the Model Number of the Drive, and is the Resistor a "Pullup" Resistor
for one of the Drive Signals? More Detail Pease.

Thanks.

Larry

Here are 2 pictures of my 4P. I was lucky to find (a long time ago, in an old PC-XT) a 5.25 -> 3.5 adapter, which has a card edge connector on one side and the usual 34 pins floppy connector on the other side, so I can put any 3.5 drive and "it just works". (on my other TRS80, I modify TEAC 3.5 drives by removing one resistor and they also work with straight cables. for those in the Bay Area, there are still a couple of these drives at Weird Stuff (Sunnyvale), $3 or $4 each...)

View attachment 16255View attachment 16256

That's interesting, cuz mine wouldnt... oh well!

HOW'D you get that color monitor on a 4p? I suspect tomfoolery is at hand! :p

View attachment 16255View attachment 16256

Thanks veco - I found 2 of them in my toy box.

No, but I've got some of those as well.

The one I was referencing has the 3½" to 5¼" metal mounting framework and bezel as well as the 34 pin IDC to card edge connector and power connector. It's the complete mounting kit.

TRS-IAN

Received the FreHD emulator board this afternoon and it arrived in perfect shape. Made it here in around a week's time - about 9900 miles from Australia to Michigan. Not too shabby for only $2.60 AU in postage and a look-see with Customs. I'd like to the get started with the project immediately, but the holidays have to take priority (she said). Ian, the board itself looks great - a nice piece of engineering and workmanship.

Tom

Back