• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4 = newbie question

1980s_john

Experienced Member
Hi,

I recently bought a TRS-80 Model 4 and am keen to get it up and running. It came with a NewDOS/80 boot disk, but it doesn't seem to work properly. After inserting the disk (to the lower drive) and pressing Reset the screen displays:

NeWDOS/80 APPARAT INC, V2.5 Z86, M4 2Mh TOC
DATE? (MM/DD/YY):

I then enter 11/11/88 then it prompts for

TIME?(HH:MM:SS):

I then enter 11:11:11, the screen clears, then after a while it goes back to NeWDOS as above and asks for the date again.

I assume either the boot disk is corrupt or there is a fault. Are there any diagnostics built in? How can I create a new boot disk (using a PC)?

Regards,
John

If the DOS hasnt been 'patched' you MAY need to put in a date older than that...

Try something around 1982...

Since it is getting to this point it is LIKELY that it is a software issue... tho a memory fault COULD be it too...

If it still doesnt work somebody who has the original 5.25s will have to help from here. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll try 1982 then.

Also, I've read about 'Model III' mode, but can't find any reference to it in the Model 4 manuals I've downloaded. Which manual gives the details please?

Sorry the machine is at a relatives house so it will be several days before I next visit!

Regards,
John

IF I RECALL (and I dont because Im running a 4p..) the ROM looks for a specific format on the floppy to decide to come up in 3 mode... the disk (IFRC) also has to have the model3 ROM FILE on the floppy.

Since I couldnt care more about III mode thats as far as I can go here...

I've tried a date of 1982 (and 1980), no joy there - I suspect the disk is faulty, time to download some images.

I found a reference (Google is your friend) to using the BREAK key on the Model 4 to go into Model III mode - the trick is to press and hold BREAK then press and release the reset button. This worked fine, the computer came back with a

CASS?

prompt, press Enter and

Memory Size?

press enter again gives:

Radio Shack Model III Basic
(c) '80 Tandy
READY
>

so I can now explorer Tandy Basic - a result!

Very different to the HP-85 Basic I am more familar with, for example

>5+7

doesn't give 12 but results in a program with the line 5:

5 +7

which gives a syntax error when run. HP Basic only allows valid code to be typed in.

Regards,
John

The 'built-in' BASIC would expect a PRINT or ? before the 5+7 IOT add them and display the result.
That, or some sort assignment statement like A=5+7 which would have returned OK (as in LET A=5+7)...

Im sure you already understand that... I'll shut up now. :mrgreen:

Back