• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4 Serial Board - Replacement Cable?

troj

Experienced Member
In the process of reconnecting things in my Model 4, the cable to the RS-232 board is separating.

Does anyone know of a source for replacement cables?

-Kevin

Yes, I ordered mine from DigiKey. I'll look it up and get back soon. I use the same cable at a shorter length for the Model I keyboard ribbon replacement.

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...-connectors/A9AAT-2002F/A9AAT-2002F-ND/161544

Make sure you get the length you need, this is always listed as backordered, because they make them to order. It only takes 3 days when I order them.

Here is the 6", and I think thats what I got, but make sure its enough for you.

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...-connectors/A9AAT-2006F/A9AAT-2006F-ND/161548. You'll notice the number changes before F

We need a curated list or FAQ or something of tips and knowledge. I don’t want to stifle communciation though.

I can think of about twenty tips that would make new enthusiasts happy and perhaps we can spark some interest.

Light bulb for the hard drive
How to fix the wires
Where do you get a FreHD
What capacitors should one get.
Color of paint for the grey and where to get it
How to ship
How to fix a broken mount

It feels like we are disjointed but so many people are so helpful and just not organized at times.

I’d love to help this I have the time.

I'll have a go...

Replace it with a green LED in series with a 150ohm resistor

How to fix the wires

TRS8Bit June 2013 has details, but also the same information is in CN80 Vol4 No. 8 page 19

Where do you get a FreHD

You get them from me, I have been making them since 2013. For May 2018 I have a sale going on 15% off RRP just mention VCFed when you order: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?63482-May-2018-SALE-take-15-of-TRS-80-items-from-my-site

X2 rated 0.01uF and 0.1uF are the most commonly failing ones. You need what are called MKT mains filter caps rated at 275V or higher

Don't know - but it would be nice to know...

How to ship

Model III/4: ShippingDiagram.jpg

CRT monitor:

JB Weld

How did I do?

We need a curated list or FAQ or something of tips and knowledge. I don’t want to stifle communciation though.

I can think of about twenty tips that would make new enthusiasts happy and perhaps we can spark some interest.

How to fix the wires
Where do you get a FreHD
How to ship

It feels like we are disjointed but so many people are so helpful and just not organized at times.

I’d love to help this I have the time.

Good idea. I can put up a sticky thread like some of the other genre forums have done. I'll get one up this weekend and we can build it as a community.

Pete,
I've got a several of tips for you to add to the list.

1. For the Flex Cables (FDC & Serial Board): How do I easily Insert/Remove the Flex cables?
Wrap the Flex Cables around a wooden pencil 180 degrees when Inserting/Removing them.

2. Where do I get a replacement Door Latch Hinge for my Tandon TM-100?
Print one with a 3D Printer from the files that are on thingiverse. (This project will/should be finished
in the next few weeks.)

3. How do I update the TRS-80 Model 1 Level 2 to ROM Version 1.3 from Version 1.1?
REF: trs8bit0801.pdf page 13

4. Lowercase Mod for Model 1 Information:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthre...l-1-in-2016/page2&highlight=Model+1+Lowercase

I simplified it this way which has served me well since the 80s.

If your character generator (Z29) last 4 numbers are 3001 or 6670, then you do the mod Lowercase with Upper from Custom TRS-80

If your character generator last for numbers are 6673 or 6674, then you do the Radio Shack lowercase mod, from the same book.

All other LC mods are complicated or unnecessary in this day and age, and in fact when I buy systems with other mods I undo
them and set them up as listed, above.

For the record:
3001 : early systems, lowercase but no descenders, and a flying 'a' due to Motorola manufacturing fault (so they sold these
chips cheap to RS who figured they didn't need LC anyway)
6670 : mid-production systems, same as above but with no flying 'a'
6673 : late systems, custom part made especially for the M1 for Radio Shack and included with most late 79 and 1980 machines.
By this time RS was selling the LC modification "kit" for $99 but if the computer already had the 6673 then the 1-min job
was to cut the trace, install the stacked 2102s into the already fitted socket, and solder two wires. It probably took
longer for the soldering iron to warm up than to make the mod.

Ian.

5. Composite Cable for Model 1
REF: trs8bit0802.pdf page 15

Composite cable for TRS-80 Model 1.

Signal - RED - Pin 4 of Din Plug
Shield - wire - Pin 5 of Din Plug

Radio Shack. Catalog number 278-255 Adapter works good.

Also
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TRS-80/conversations/messages/9588

The Model 1 video output is a standard composite, but it does have a
DC bias voltage on it. You can make a cable and connect the M1 video
output to any composite video monitor that has a DC blocking capacitor
on the input. I used an old black and white Sony security camera
monitor for many decades, no problem.

6. TRS-80 ROM Versions Info

Model 1 ROMS

Level 1
Z1 ROMA 4K x 8 450ns 0x0000 0x0FFF ROM1A1

Level II
Z1 ROMA 4K x 8 450ns 0x0000 0x0FFF ROM1A2
Z2 ROMB 4K x 8 450ns 0x1000 0x1FFF ROM1B2
Z3 ROMC 4K x 8 450ns 0x2000 0x2FFF ROM1C2

Model 3 ROMS

Level 1
U104 ROMA 4K x 8 450ns 0x0000 0x0FFF ROM3A1

Level 2
U104 ROMA 8K x 8 450ns 0x0000 0x1FFF ROM3A2
U105 ROMB 4K x 8 450ns 0x2000 0x2FFF ROM3B2
U106 ROMC 2K x 8 450ns 0x3000 0x3FFF - less 2 bytes - 37E8 & 37E9 ROM3C2

Model 4 ROMS

Level 1
U68 ROMA 4K x 8 450ns 0x0000 0x0FFF ROM4A1

Level 2
U68 ROMA 8K x 8 450ns 0x0000 0x1FFF ROM4A2
U69 ROMB 4K x 8 450ns 0x2000 0x2FFF ROM4B2
U70 ROMC 2K x 8 450ns 0x3000 0x37FF - less 2 bytes - 37E8 & 37E9 ROM4C2

7. Testing the Z80 Address Lines
REF: trs8bit0802.pdf page 60

Thanks

Larry

Last edited:
I do have a rattle can of the silver paint that matches quite close, I'm repairing a case and will probably sell to someone who wants one, with full knowledge its repainted, and JBwelded, but you know some poor sap is gonna get a crushed Model III. Once we get the thing going we can all add to it.

It would be good to have a master index that links to peoples replies or posts within the thread.

One thing I would like to do is maintain a source of items, not just a "you need a MKT capacitor" or JBWELD. There are so many options people might get the wrong thing and destroy it.

I know I have printouts from half the members here on how to do this or that, so we have the details, its just scattered and we can consolidate it down. I had to help a guy at the naval academy get the correct RAM chips because he spent weeks trying to figure out why his 4P wouldn't boot. That kind of stuff is easy for us to do now that we know and have done it.

One thing I like about the ribbon cables I use by the way is they are solid pins and very easy to insert and line up. I got the idea from an aerocomp model III controller I think.

By the way, the light for the hard drive you can get a modern replacement that keeps it authentic looking, so there is more than one option out there.

I do have a rattle can of the silver paint that matches quite close, I'm repairing a case and will probably sell to someone who wants one, with full knowledge its repainted, and JBwelded, but you know some poor sap is gonna get a crushed Model III. Once we get the thing going we can all add to it.

It would be good to have a master index that links to peoples replies or posts within the thread.

One thing I would like to do is maintain a source of items, not just a "you need a MKT capacitor" or JBWELD. There are so many options people might get the wrong thing and destroy it.

I know I have printouts from half the members here on how to do this or that, so we have the details, its just scattered and we can consolidate it down. I had to help a guy at the naval academy get the correct RAM chips because he spent weeks trying to figure out why his 4P wouldn't boot. That kind of stuff is easy for us to do now that we know and have done it.

One thing I like about the ribbon cables I use by the way is they are solid pins and very easy to insert and line up. I got the idea from an aerocomp model III controller I think.

By the way, the light for the hard drive you can get a modern replacement that keeps it authentic looking, so there is more than one option out there.

I believe it was Mark that linked to the lamps for the hard drives. I bought a few and they worked.

Back